Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Care for chinchillas 6-9 weeks old  (Read 1396 times)

Thefame

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Care for chinchillas 6-9 weeks old
« on: April 18, 2010, 11:49:20 AM »

So I would like to get a chinchilla at anywhere from 6-9 weeks so I can bond with it while its young.  But is a 6-9 week old chin the same as an adult?  Will it eat the same foods, do i have to give it anything special when its that young?  Are toys a danger to younger chinchillas?

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Care for chinchillas 6-9 weeks old
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 01:36:09 PM »

Just so you know, you can bond with any chinnie as you can with a young one.. but if you'd like a baby that is fine, of course. As for foods, babies get an unlimited supply of pellets (well i think its about a 1/3 of a cup of pellets at a time, constantly being refreshed is what i mean) as opposed to adults which should only get one fill a day since they are not growing like babies. Babies diets consist of pellets and hay strictly, they should not really get treats. I know i don't begin giving treats until 6 months of age. Toys are not a danger, they should still get wood and chews since their teeth are always growing like adults. So mainly, the only two differences are that babies should always have food in their bowl and they should not get treats, just keep them on a healthy pellet and hay diet and they'll be a happy little one! Hope this helps.  ::nod::
Pages: [1]   Go Up