News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poop  (Read 2605 times)

Heather

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Poop
« on: May 06, 2010, 03:36:31 AM »

My chin (Toby) was doing small hard poops so I took him to the vet who has diagnosed GI Stasis and prescribed some meds. For the last couple of days, he has been pooing plenty in the evenings, and then throughout the night the poos seem to reduce in size, and during the day he doesn't do any new ones. He did eat several during the day yesterday, but there were none in the cage. He has been x-rayed and there's no obvious blackage or gas, and he has been eating plenty of hay and drinking pineapple juice in addition to water. I was just wondering how much they poo during the day, as usually the cage has the nightime poos in until I let them out in the evening, but I've been clearing his out in the morning so that I can monitor it. His brother did some during the day, but not a huge amount in the cage - again he seemed to eat most of them. He has a follow up appointment at the vet tomorrow, so I'll see how he is, but I've been getting really worried with no poos during the day, but then he goes and does loads at night, which reassures me a bit but I still stress!

Thanks.

Harleychin

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Poop
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 10:30:30 AM »

My boys don't really poop much during the day.
They start to poop a lot when they wake up for the night time play.
Sandy

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 10:23:12 AM »

Yes look at it in a space of 24 hours.
In the day time if I get one to move there is usually a little pile under them. :D
Debbie.nl.ca

Heather

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 11:19:26 AM »

Thanks you two! Took him for follow up today and the vet said he's fine now. He gave me quite a scare - I lost 2lbs in 2 days!

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »

heather i'm just curious cuz this is new to me.. what does the pineapple juice do?  does it help them go?

and i just wanted to also say that sometimes they poop more during certain times of the day and the sizes will also be different, depends on when they ate last.

i'm sure glad you caught this and got him to the vet way to go!!!!  did you actually notice he was eating less, or was it just the fact that his poops were all small and hard?

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

Heather

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 12:16:23 PM »

It was just the small poops and he was shifting about as if uncomfy. Luckily he didn't get to the stage where he stopped eating. The pineapple juice breaks down any fur that they swallow and prevents fur balls. I give mine 1ml twice a week normally, but the vet recommended twice a day while toby was ill. It has to be pure though, not concentrated. I give it to them with a syringe and they LOVE it - when it's all gone they try to drag the syringe into their cage! It's a good incentive to get them in at the end of play time!  ;)

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 07:19:08 PM »

It was just the small poops and he was shifting about as if uncomfy. Luckily he didn't get to the stage where he stopped eating. The pineapple juice breaks down any fur that they swallow and prevents fur balls. I give mine 1ml twice a week normally, but the vet recommended twice a day while toby was ill. It has to be pure though, not concentrated. I give it to them with a syringe and they LOVE it - when it's all gone they try to drag the syringe into their cage! It's a good incentive to get them in at the end of play time!  ;)

okay thanks.. i never knew that.. my vet gave me something in a tube.. its sticky but boy does bo love it!! it's for hairballs.  i always have problems with bo.. he cuts back on food alot.. i've brought him to the vet several times, but nothing wrong with him.. for some reason he just backs off of food.. before they changed the purina foood [i tried it and only got to use one bag] he and everyone else LOVED IT.  i was so happy with the way they were all eating.. bo's poops got big.. no more worries.. then... boom.. food change.. which i know is for the better.. i mean corn.. ugh!!! even humans can process it.

wow, i have to say it again.. he is really super lucky you saw him pooping..

i wonder what makes them cut back on food like that tho..
oh well...

thanks and i'm glad he's doing better
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Heather

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 08:36:15 AM »

Here we are just after the vet told us he's going to be ok. Still had 3 days of meds to go though, which is why I'm holding him and he looks grumpy!

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 01:04:30 PM »

oh what a doll he is heather. and i love his name..

would you mind if i stole his name and put it on my website?

j
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Heather

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 04:00:25 PM »

Of course it's fine! He actually came with that name (from a rescue) so I can't claim credit although my cat when I was little was also called toby which is a bit weird!
Pages: [1]   Go Up