Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stress in a Chinchilla  (Read 1577 times)

wolfeagle

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Stress in a Chinchilla
« on: May 05, 2010, 10:14:40 AM »

HI!  My husband and I have owned a female and male chinchilla now for approximately 8-9yrs.  The Female started chewing her fur a few months back and we took her to the vets thinking she was sick.  The vet told us that she was very healthy but she was bored.  We did not have the time for them like we use to, therefore I listed both of them on Kijjiji for sale.  We sold them Thursday April 29th 2010.  The gentleman we sold them to emailed me yesterday Tuesday May 4th 2010 to inform us that they were doing ok but when he came home from HighSchool the female was laying on the bottom of the cage not moving, therefore his mother took her to the vet.  The female died at the vet.  The vet has no idea what happened or why she died.  Would the stress of moving kill her??????????????????

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Stress in a Chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 01:37:50 PM »

Wow.  Was the temperature good in their house, did she drink and eat like normal?  I wouldn't think the stress of moving would kill her, especially if she went with her mate.  The closest thing I can think of that would come close is I know of a situation where a chinchilla was chased by a cat and although the owner got to the cat before it ever touched the chinchilla, the chinchilla just fell over dead.  But that was an extreme trauma...nothing like a move.  I would be more inclined to think there was something else going on.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 03:10:34 PM »

I agree can't see the move doing it.
I'm so sorry though, it still hurts even though you'd re homed them.
I wonder if she was chewing from a illness she was hiding? Though most times and at her age it would be from boredom.
It's so hard to know sometimes, maybe 9 years was her life span????
Debbie.nl.ca

wolfeagle

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 04:49:07 AM »

I have two cats and know how stressed the chins can become if the cats got into the room they were in therefore my cats were trained not to go in that room.....That's the first question I asked...If he had cats?   The second question was temperature of the house.  He stated that he didn't have any cats and the house was kept cool with air conditioning.

They were not mates.  They were brother and sister.  They were not babies when we got them and we're not sure how old they were when we first got them 8-9 yrs ago but this breaks my heart that she died.

I blame myself for her death :'( Maybe if I had kept them and not sold them, she might still be alive.  I guess I will never know.

Thanks for your replies.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 05:58:23 AM »

Don't blame yourself.  Like Debbie said, maybe it was just her time to go no matter where she was.  |hugs|

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up