Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Play pens?  (Read 4449 times)

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
Play pens?
« on: May 07, 2010, 02:18:32 PM »

I'm trying to locate something I can lean up against my son's bed...so they can't get under it. And also I'll have it go around his wine chiller so they won't chew on the cords of his lamp and chiller. I called Petsmart...and asked about their rabbit play pens...and the woman laughed and said..."Chinchillas jump to tall that would never work"...so...What can I use to keep them from getting into places to protect them? We've plastic totes that pull out with his stuffed animals in them under his bed. So another reason not to let them under there...for they would eat the plastic.

So...I'm at a loss. Anyone have any good tips or suggestions of products. I'm off to check the review products...I just recalled that as an option. But...would like to here what works well with other chin owners.

Thanks so much~ ;)
~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile
Re: Play pens?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 02:47:55 PM »

I just recalled my son's friend's parents own a drive thru feed store. Maybe they might have something! Or could order it in.

~Darlene

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 03:03:56 PM »

The easiest thing to do would be to change his playtime to the bathroom which is easier to chin-proof.  You could get long pieces of cardboard (refrigerator boxes from appliance stores) to cover up the under bed area but they would be a pain to store and setup at every play time.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 03:08:37 PM »

I really hate the bathroom. Ours isn't overly large. And when the family all crouds in...I'm afraid we'll end up stepping on one. I was thinking if I bought a playpen...then it is hinged to make a shape. I could run it the length of the bed. Then...bend it around. And since it does bend around. I could fold it when not in use and slide it in the closet or something.

My husband is fine with buying playpen fencing...And Cole misses getting his chins out in his room. So I thought...a perfect thing to get him for his birthday as well. So the chins once again can come out to play.

We'll see...I have Cole's friend's mom checking on prices and sizes for me. She's to contact me tomorrow and the truck comes in on the 20th. Which is the day before his party so that's good!
~Darlene

left027

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 03:28:27 PM »

I have a white play pen thingy made by ware from Petsmart.  I was $42.  My chins haven't even tried jumping it yet. 

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 03:32:37 PM »

Is it a white metal or plastic? Thanks for the name brand as well...I'll also check into that...how long if extended would it reach?
~Darlene

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 07:24:15 PM »

hows your bathroom.

alot of people use that, and i do too sometimes..

keep the lid down, he will go in [i'm so careful but one day, bo was super fast and oopss. ...yup... splash..he jumped out real quick..thankfully didn't get wet much]

anyways, just make sure that it's chin proofed.. you know the ritual...

you can also use this if you have the room.  there is a top, and there is a bottom, i just pulled the first page i saw that had it..

http://www.rabbitmart.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-23728

Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 06:26:11 AM »

Well...I was hoping to continue to work on them putting themselves away. Thus...using his bedroom as well. Nibbles was getting good at going back into the cage while in the same room for playtime. Verses catching them and putting them away. I found that less stressful. And...they always seemed more apt to climb on us in the bedroom verses the bathroom area.

That was...until singing billy bass's cord was chewn. We thought we were watching them rather well. But...he even got it chewed with ME in there...Sooo we've got to get something to keep them from chewing on certain items...I'll know more tonight when I get home and check Facebook. To see what the prices were...

I'm thinking if they encounter a fence...up against the bed. They won't attempt to go through it. Or over it hopefully...and land on the bed. But if we're investing in a playpen to use as basically a long baby gate...Then it might pay to get the more expensive one...that might be a tad taller. Than buying one to low and having it not work at all...
~Darlene

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 10:22:57 AM »

i have a white metal play pen from petsmart also. I def didn't pay that much for it though. One of my chins trys to get out all the time. He does to. I put a sheet on top and it keeps them in. I have it attachted to their cage so they can go in their anytime they want. Its easy to store to. I have the shorter fence. But you'd have the same problem with the tall one bc they can jump pretty high and they can always climb out. The sheet works great.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 02:19:51 PM »

do you mean that metal type fencing... i have it, and all my chins jump out....  >:(  i got the higher one too.. doens't it come in two sizes... er..maybe i'm thinking of the other one... i've got so much stuff for these guys, i can't keep anything straight...
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 03:13:30 PM »

yeah, it does come it two sizes. Try putting a sheet ever it. It works wonders.

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 03:16:59 PM »

I'm thinking since they will actually have the run of the room...other than under the bed. That possibly they won't attempt to jump it? And just not be able to get under the bed...or near the back of the wine chiller.

How high is the white playpen fencing...?
~Darlene

RollinEK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 02:01:54 PM »

i normally let mine out in the bathroom, but i used to let her out in the bedroom. i just grabbed the covers and hung them to the floor, but remember, if they see any opening, they will go for it. mine never got under the bed when i did the covers right.
Chinny Ranch Rescue
ChinnyRanchRescue@gmail.com
Serving the OKlahoma City Area.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 03:28:18 PM »

that is very true. Using covers work as long as you do it right. They are smart pets and will try to find a way around it. I used to use blankets and stuff animals in spots i didn't want them. But i had alot more space to cover up where i didn't want them to be. The fence i have is just about 2 ft high. You can always try it and if it doesn't work, return it. My chin didn't try to excape right away, i had it for awhile before he started to try.

left027

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 08:16:53 AM »

My white-metal fence thing is about 2 feet high I'd say.  Yep website confirms.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751787&lmdn=Small+Pet

I have the large one.  It's 2 ft high and there are 16 panels.  Each panel is probably between 10 to 12 inches.  Needless to say, the cage is huge!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up