Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Litter Training?  (Read 1478 times)

emcavan

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Litter Training?
« on: June 02, 2010, 07:45:29 PM »

I have a few questions on how to get one of our boys to pee in one spot of his cage.  We rescued our chins from a home where they were mostly ignored.  We had to throw away the cage they lived in, it was so filthy.  After a few months, both chinchillas are healthier and are warming up to us.  One began to use the litter box with just a little encouragement, but the other guy still pees everywhere in the cage.  I end up cleaning the cage constantly....trying to keep up with his smelly puddles.  I assure you, their cage is not dirty, but he just seems to pee anywhere and everywhere.  I have even seen him back up from his food bowl and pee while he is eating.  Is there any way to train him out of this habit?  I have read that you should put a toy, the food bowl, etc in places that he has peed in order to get him to quit peeing there, but it doesn't seem to matter.  Isn't this against a chinchilla's instinct?  We have also checked to see if he had a hair ring problem, but that isn't the case.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Litter Training?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 04:59:16 AM »

Well it is REALLY hard to get them to pee in their potty. I have some chins that do and some that don't. Try a corner potty and change it daily. For some reason they don't like to pee in a potty that already has urine in it. It MIGHT work. But it's tough. To clean it up the best thing to get the smell out is vinegar, it works wonders. 
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 09:37:42 AM »

I just put shavings or pan where they pee  ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

sashasmommy

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 11:16:43 AM »

I only put shavings where I want them to pee in a small ceramic bowl...it took a bit but they learned on their own...give him some time maybe?
5 Chinnies- Sasha, Star, Stevie, Stuart, Baby
1 Dog- Sierra
1 Hampster- Lightning
2 Kids- Lauryn, Ashton

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 01:49:15 PM »

All my chins have a spot, ;) most like corners, but I have a full bottom pan so I just fill "it" with shavings.
Some will pee under their water bottle, while some will pee where they chew their hay, but yes if I move the hay, say, they move too  :D Funny little critters.
Keep on eye and see if you can tell why your chin has chosen that spot. Maybe it's just a matter of moving something else. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up