Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introducing Freya...  (Read 1557 times)

Crimson_Ham

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Introducing Freya...
« on: June 21, 2010, 12:31:58 PM »

I've been putting Freya up by Dagda's cage every day in the hopes Dagda will get used to Freya before she's old enough to wean. In part I've been doing this because Freya's parents attacked Dagda when he was younger (they don't play together anymore). He gets so.... i dunno how to put it exactly, when she's around he flies at the side of his cage trying desperately to pry the wall of his cage off to get to her and swipes at her.  :::((( Will this get better once the kits are older and not with Xochitl anymore? Is it because she smells like Xochitl or just that he isn't used to her as a whole? Anything I can do to help this or just move her cage next to his when she's weaned and wait?
I really want them to get along.
Sorry if these sound like stupid questions but it's my first time trying to get my chins introduced to each other. Xochitl and Sorley were a pair when I got them.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Introducing Freya...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 11:53:35 AM »

I'm not sure I understand.
Is it a female kit you are trying to put with an adult male?

Yes some chins just hate each other, so it sounds like Dagda just doesn't like Xochitl.
So how old is Dagda? Is he related to the others?
Debbie.nl.ca

Crimson_Ham

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 01:03:13 PM »

I suppose i should be more specific...
Freya is a female standard kit I am hoping to be able to eventually (when she's older) put with Dagda. Freya is a little over a month old and Dagda is 10 months old. Dagda is a black velvet of no relation to Freya.
So far I've just sat next to his cage with her at the end of her play time with me. Freya, Thor and Xochitl (mum to Thor and Freya) aren't currently in vision range of Dagda's cage and are in the kit cage so really he only sees her when I sit down with her. He seems more agitated by her after he gets a fresh batch of hay though. It's kinda funny because he looks like he's guarding the hay for all he's worth  rofl but if I play with the kits before they get new hay he just chews the bar, sniffs and tries to grab her.
The one time Sorley and Xochitl were allowed to play with Dagda they attacked him. They get along fine in separate spaces and don't even try to pester each other through the bars but when they're out together it's trouble so he's not played with them since. This is why I wasn't sure if it was because she smells like Xochitl or not. And why I'm trying to slowly introduce them early.
In any case it just seems to be Dagda with the problem. Freya tries to get closer and sniff him but doesn't swipe at him or try to attack the cage. While he's trying to grab her she just sits there. If she gets scared or upset she shakes and I cuddle her some more in another part of the house til she's calmed down but usually she's just curious about him. After Xochitl goes back to her cage with Sorley and Thor goes into his new cage I'm planning to move Freya to the same level as Dagda so they can see each other all the time but that time isn't here yet.
I haven't tried to introduce Thor to Dagda yet but since the cage Dagda's in is so close to Xochitl's cage I didn't want it to be a problem with the guys being housed together by her when she goes into heat. Eventually I want them all to have cage buddies (and nice large home made wood/wire cages but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves,eh? That's for the house I'm buying this fall if all goes well) and am looking into taking in a Mosaic or a beige from a woman I know to maybe be a cage buddy for Thor in the long run.

eh I kinda waffled about there but I hope that answers all questions and may help with understanding. :)

Crimson_Ham

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 11:44:42 AM »

I decided to try something different last night. Last night I held her by his cage and he just stared at her and ate his hay and she just sat there so I thought it'd be a good time to try an experiment. Thinking maybe he's just overprotective of his cage being his I pulled him out. I held one in each hand and as they didn't get aggressive I moved my hands closer to each other. in the end I had my hands touching each other and they just sniffed each other. So I think it's just that he's protecting his territory. Once she's older it should be ok to switch them to each others cages then rearrange his (the larger one) and let them both in, right? That way it is his but it doesn't look like his and then it's theirs and smells like them both. Given no more over aggressiveness of course.

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 08:21:54 AM »

You are doing things the right way, putting them side by side so they can smell each other BUT sometimes chins just don't get along no matter how hard you try. Sometimes if they have a sand bath together this may work but if they hate each other threw the cage bars so much it does not sound like they are compatible.  :::(((

Keep it up, keep trying. I think I understand what you are trying to do, I had to read it a couple of times. What you do is go into a neutral territory, NEVER in ones cage, that is their space and they will most likely fight over it, introduce them in the bathroom with a sand bath available. Have someone else there if possible to break up a fight if they start going at it. If this works then just keep doing it, don't rush this process, that would be a big mistake. If they eventually get along re-arrange the cage you plan to keep them in.
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up