Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lots of chin questions  (Read 1373 times)

akaangela

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Lots of chin questions
« on: July 18, 2010, 04:36:56 AM »

Hello.  Two weeks ago I was surfing craigslist and there was an add for a pair of chins....free.  Since I have always wanted chins I jumped at the chance and went up and got them.  The person giving them away didn't know much of anything about them, not their ages, genders, nada.  He said he was asked to give the chins away while the owners where away.  He said that they had gotten the chins (he wasn't sure how long they had had the chins) for their autistic daughter and she was not taking care of them.  They where in a small cage in a shed. 
Upon a quick search I think they are male and female.  I just got their new cage finished. It is 24x24x36.  Their old one was 16x12x22. 
Now for my questions.  I have observed the male (Sir Lancalot) mounting the female (Gwenavier).  She seems not bothered by this at all.  Would he do this if she was pregnant?  Is it possible to fix a chin?  Do chins bond for life?  They are so happy in their new cage.  They are bouncing off the walls :D  Gwennie has me a bit concerned as she has fallen off the lowest shelf (6" off the ground) a few times.  They both have jumped down from the highest level a few times. 

I don't want to breed them, so can I have one fixed and not the other?  Is it hard to introduce a new chin (if I separated them)  They sleep snuggled up togeather every night/day.  They are so cute.  Thank you for your help.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: Lots of chin questions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 09:38:42 AM »

hi.  you can always attempt to introduce a new chinchilla, but it doesn't mean it will work. some chinchillas just do not get along.  you can always get a cuddle buddy.. i 'm thinking about making them for my website so i might have something soon to let you know. 

not knowing their backgrounds is a good reason not to breed.  but if he is attemping the deed, you might want to get him out of there soon, with pregnancy, there could be many problems.. there doesn't have to be, so i don't mean to scare you, i'm just saying there could be. 

and if you haven't found a chinny safe site for your supplies yet, take a peak at mine if you have a moment, hopefully you will like it. 

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Jhenderson27

• Appreciation points: 4
  • Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of chin questions
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 12:26:32 PM »

IF you do decide to get one fixed be prepared as it is very dangerous unless performed by a very chin familiar vet.  Also make sure you take the other to the vet with the one getting the procedure so that they are never away and this makes it so you do not have to "reintroduce" and that should help the situation.  They usually bond well together but from what i have read, this means nothing as for no reason one can turn on another but rarely happens.  But it can, be prepared for 2 cages at worst for the rest of their lives.  Enjoy them, and from the sounds of it, well they may have already mated if she is in heat.  Count 111 days from the "deed" you saw done, as you may get the joy of baby feet running around.  Then again it could be just a show of dominance.  Everyone on this forum is awsome and will give you all the best info you could ever want.  Get ready, chins are fun and a handful at the same time.

Justin
Pages: [1]   Go Up