Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla Food  (Read 1450 times)

Brewski09

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chinchilla Food
« on: August 16, 2010, 01:22:15 PM »

I've had Monte for a little over a year now. He doesn't eat his food, ever. At least, not that I can see. There is always food left over in his bowl the next day. Which I replace. He ALWAYS eats hay, and his treats, but the stuff I get from the store isn't appetizing to him.

I've tried maybe a total of 4 different foods over the last year - mixing with each other so he can get used to it - but it seems like he doesn't ever eat it - and just eats the timothy hay.

I put about a half cup in the cage everyday - and there always appears to be the same amount at the end of the day/following day.

Any suggestions?

jbcstratton

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Chinchilla Food
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 02:48:34 PM »

I would try only puttinga tablespoon in to see if he is eating, you should be able to tell if he is eating with a smaller amount in there.
Brandy

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 07:57:49 AM »

Hmm, do you think he is sick?
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 03:36:24 PM »

hi...

just to let you know, most foods at the stores are not quality foods.. some do carry Oxbow and Mazuri, they are quality.

the other thing, if you have a food that has all those treats in them, he will eat the treats first, then will not want the food... actually i woudl pick mcdonalds over something healthy myself every day of the week.. but , i'm alreay too fat.

the treats he is eating.. if its not treats in the food, how many treats are you giving him per day.

its not good to keep changing foods... he is eating hay you say which is good.   i had a very hard time getting two my guys to eat good on a pellet they liked, and still one of them, just doesn't eat that great... there is nothing wrong with him, he is a fussy little buger that scares me, but i have had him to the vets more than once.. i do not know if that is normal in chins, i haven't had enough of them..

so can you just tell us what you are feeding, how mnay treats, etc.. oh and this is a new behavior, i'm thinking it isn't because you said you have switched foods many times.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up