Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! My chinchilla was attacked and doesn't eat any more!  (Read 2014 times)

Chupanebray

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Help! My chinchilla was attacked and doesn't eat any more!
« on: August 26, 2010, 06:44:06 AM »

Hi everybody,

I'm really worried about my chinchilla Hasel and hope someone can help!

Three nights ago, my chinchilla Hasel (almost 5 months old) was viciously attacked by his mother (about 3 years old). They've never had any fights before, so this came as a surprise. I played with him for an hour the night before, so could it be that he smelled too much like me or the couch? Only thing is I've played with him a couple of times before and there were never any fights the next day/night.

When I found him in the morning he had several biting wounds on his back and his ears and large parts of his fur were torn out. I separated him from his mother and his father and put him in a single cage. It's been 2 1/2 days now and he's still very timid, sitting in the same spot all day. The thing that worries the most, though, is that he doesn't seem to eat. He doesn't take my treats or the food I put in his cage. He drinks water out of the bottle only when I hand it to him, but doesn't eat whatsoever.

What should I do??

jbcstratton

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Help! My chinchilla was attacked and doesn't eat any more!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 01:10:23 PM »

Are you sure he was attacked by the mother,  being 5 months old and two males in the cage, the mother may have gone into heat and males will fight when a female is in heat.  Otherwise you may need to soak or blend up some food or if you have access to it get some critical care (I believe thats what it is called) and try to feed him some of that.  He may be depressed from being seperated.  Good luck.
Brandy

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 03:38:08 PM »

Ok we you will need to force feed him critical care. and he should not have been in with his mom at 5 months males must be separated from mom by 8 weeks or they can and will impregnate mom. If dad is in there too he is who likely attcked him.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 03:07:25 PM »

if you need critical care, i do sell it, my link is below my name... 

how is he doing?  are you sure he doesn't need a vet visit to make sure he is okay?  please keep us posted and do put him in another cage to keep him safe...

Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 05:41:24 AM »

if you're waiting for critical care - it's fabulous! mine loved it mixed with hot water into a paste, not runny but not dry either - you could mush up some nuggets (hot water is good too, just make sure it cools down a little before you give it to him, it shouldn't take long as you only need to make up small quantities)

just make sure he eats something, chins need constant gastrointestinal function, their system shuts down if there's no food.
Pages: [1]   Go Up