Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why would a chin do this?  (Read 2090 times)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Why would a chin do this?
« on: June 15, 2007, 09:13:39 AM »

Got a customer with a br.velvet female she bought from me.
She has a nice male standard from another and wanted to breed.
She now has a neutered male, the female and 2 female kits. ;)
Thing is every night when she lets them out for their run the mother climbs up on her lap and pees.
I've told her to make sure she has been awake long enough to pee before taking her out.
To put a pee pan handy somewhere when she is out.Then to scold her, and now she's to the point when she does it she puts her right back in the cage to see if this will condition her to stop.
I have never heard of such, and mine never pee outside their cage,or pee pans on the floor.
Why would she be going right to her owner and peeing on her???????????
Do you think it could be a territorial thing, or I'm in charge??????? It's got me baffled.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Why would a chin do this?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 10:15:13 AM »

::silly::   Uhhhhh ... Maybe the wife does not like what the owner did to her hubby and is expressing herself being upset with the owner.   :D

It's obvious she is pi--ed-off, so she is doing the same on her owner.   :blush2:

In all seriousness ... chinchillas have the full range of emotions humans have.  When the owner took the male and had him neutered, it was painful.  So, in the mates' eyes, the owner hurt her mate, for no apparent reason.  Revenge is among the emotions chinchillas have.  They will defend their families any way they can.  She apparently cares about her owner or she would be biting her instead of urinating on her.

She may or may not, eventually, forgive their owner ... Chinchillas have long memories.   ::nod::

Territorial thing?  I would think it is more of a warning not to hurt her family again.

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 10:18:23 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 02:48:12 PM »

Like Jo ann said it could be revenge or something could have tramatized her....animals when they get scared they tend to pee..lol...My friends dog came from an abused family and everytime someone yelled around the dog it would pee...not saying your chin was abused but in the aspect of she may have realized what happen to her husband and not want anything to happen to her...so when she comes out of the cage she gets scared....I spray things that I dont want the chins to chew or soil with a chinguard spray...it is really effective and odorless...it doesnt stress the chin out the have something sprayed with it in their cage either...i was worried about that at first but my chins are happy as ever...they just know to stay away from chewing it...I sprayed the wood in my play room so that they wouldnt chew it and it works...also....the plastic huts that I put in their cage that they love I sprayed with it also...they go inside of the huts to sleep but they dont chew the huts....the plastic if consumed can hurt the chins digestive tract.  But I really recommmend the spray for anyone who doesnt want their chin chewing or peeing on certain things....but back to what I was talkin about...if push comes to shove have her buy the spray and spray a few sprays on her clothes before you handle the chin and the chin won't pee on her...lol ;)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 11:11:28 PM »

Uhhhhh ... Maybe the wife does not like what the owner did to her hubby and is expressing herself being upset with the owner.   

It's obvious she is pi--ed-off, so she is doing the same on her owner.
:2funny: I love it.

Could be , though Dad was kept in a separate cage for 5 days, just so he wouldn't strain himself playing with the family.
That's at least the second time he's been out for that long.
Ya know what though, one of the kits died. The owner was handfeeding but it didn't go well and the darling passed at the vets office.
He did perform a necropsy but could find no reason only maybe a slight lack of development, and hunger.
I will pass it all along to her, and she has tried the spray, but seems to be getting some results now with putting her right back in her cage when she does.
Tanx lady's
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up