Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brand name TUMS? still safe?  (Read 2931 times)

sarahlydear

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Brand name TUMS? still safe?
« on: October 23, 2010, 04:57:46 PM »

So I've heard that it is a VERY good idea to give your chins extra Calcium and TUMS was a recommended source, along with cuttle bone. Well since it's the folks that are buying the stuff and they are not delighted with all the new toys "I" have been buying for Herby I figured TUMS would be the least bothersome way to go(they use them to.)
We go for the equate brand "Extra Strength Antacid Tablets, Calcium Carbonate 750mg" would this work the same?
 :blush2: I'm not trying to act ditsy I just know how much diffrent chin tummies are to anything else I've owned so I want to double check.
Also how much should I give him?

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: Brand name TUMS? still safe?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 06:18:11 AM »

Tums don't need to be given unless their is a problem A chinchilla should get all the calcuim he needs from a balanced diet. The cuttle bone is more than enough.Too much calcium causes kidney stones. Minerals are essential but too much can be as bad as not enough
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

sarahlydear

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 01:11:48 PM »

Well they don't sell cuttle bone anywhere around me, but dad brought home some calcium tablets so i might try a bit of those. in small doses.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 03:06:43 PM »

I don't think you are understanding if his teeth are a nice yellow he doesn't need Cuttle bones, or calcuim in any way. The only chinchillas I ever have to give any to are usually nursing moms or animals recovering from an issue. If your chinchilla is givin too much calcuim they will develop kidney or bladder stones. If you provide a good diet he is getting all he needs. The average chinchilla on a good diet gets all the nuetrients he needs in that diet. People more often than not cause issues in the health of a chinchilla by messing with nutrients in a good diet
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

BambiLove

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Why must chinchillas be so cute?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 06:51:12 PM »

no. it is NOT A VERY GOOD idea to give your chin extra calcium when he is completely healthy with yellow teeth. Extra calcium and minerals is good for us, but it can kill your chinchilla. I would not recommend giving him calcium unless he needs it. Those extra calcium that they sell at pet store is for when your chin is pregnant, nursing mom or white teeth. Here is a website that tell you how you should not give your chin extra calcium or mineral. It's at the bottom of the page.
http://www.foreverfeistychinchilla.org/diet.htm
I wish one day every pet will have a good home and be happy~
Pages: [1]   Go Up