Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: i hate people  (Read 5336 times)

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
i hate people
« on: October 30, 2010, 12:51:26 PM »

I got a rescue chin yesterday. She was brought in because, allegedly, the woman was moving and the new landlord didn't allow pets. I went to see her at the rescue on thursday and noticed she had an abscess and a large bump underneath her chin as well as being very skinny.
I went to see her again on Friday and brought her some things and ended up taking her home. I took her to the vets a couple of hours later and she has a incisor root growing through her chin. At the moment she's on meds and we're trying to put some weight on her as she's too skinny to go through anaesthetic for the xray, nevermind the surgery.

I've just been to give her medication and wash out the abscess and i could cry. I don't touch underneath her chin unless i have to because it must be painful and i seem to forget just how bad it is. I was washing it out and it's absolutely awful. how can someone let it get this bad. I understand you can miss it in initial stages when you can't really see this but it's sticking out a great deal now. I'm absolutely disgusted.

Sorry, I just really needed to vent.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: i hate people
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 04:42:59 PM »

Sad. People really do suck. I would be concerned though with root growth that bad is surgery even an option? sometimes we need to look at the quality of life after surgery as heartless as that might seem sometimes it is just kinder to put down chinchillas suffering from Malo
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 01:20:34 AM »

well, it depends. once the xray is done and they know where the root is, if the surgery is possible, they can remove the root (and possibly a bit of jaw bone). this means that the root is no longer there but of course also that the bottom incisor will no longer be growing which in effect would mean that the top incisor would keep overgrowing but as long as she has regular filing, her quality of life would be very good - she should not have any pain although she may not enjoy regular trips to the vets. if we got to that stage, it would be fab.

if the root is positioned where they cannot safely get it out, then it's a whole different story.. but i really hope this will not be the case. she only has three legs as well, she's had it rough. she is a sweet little girl as well...

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 02:24:50 PM »

Oh, wow. that is just horrible. I feel soo sorry for the both of you. Atleast she is in the right hands now and getting the care she needs. I wish you the best of luck!

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 03:09:06 PM »

thank you! she's looking very bright today, she very much likes her new fleece tunnel (it was in with a piggy so she had to wait for it to be washed and dried) and she even had a bath today (she wasn't interested before). so hopefully the painkillers are kicking in and she's feeling a little better and she'll start eating more soon. she is becoming more adventurous too, there's been a lot of change for her in the past few weeks so it all must be really rather stressful.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 03:13:42 PM »

what i think is this:

whatever mean and nasty things people do to animals should be done to them!!!
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 03:33:54 PM »

I'm glad she is going soo much better1 I'll keep my fingers crossed! and I agree with jmdeeb.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 03:36:08 PM »

I will keep my fingers crossed as well I just wanted you to be prepared.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 04:49:22 AM »

yes. i think this person who had her just didn't care. i mean, the bump under her chin was the first thing i noticed when i first visited her because if they let you do anything, it will probably be a tickle under their chin! so that's what i did and could feel something. so i think she was not really being touched... or perhaps they did know and didn't want to part with the cash..

thank you starleomach, i know what the possible outcomes can be but.. you're never really prepared even though you know you might lose them.. i really was worried until yesterday when she seemed to perk up a lot. for the first two days she was sat on a shelf and would not move from the spot but now she runs around and she's even had a nibble on her chew.

thing is, i never even went there to adopt the poor thing, i just wanted to double check she was a boy because one of my friends is after a friend for her boy. but when i saw her..

chingirls

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 04:45:27 AM »

hate >:(i wont use that awful word,god would not like it. but dislike is ok. it upsets me when people have any animal and they dont take care of them. if you cant afford a vet then you dont need a pet. thats my thought on that. as for the chinchilla,love goes a long way hun,keep up the good work. god will reward you for that.

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 05:51:37 AM »

thank you. i share the exact same view. don't get a pet if you can't afford the vet bills. you may never need to pay out, but you have to be prepared for the possibility.
what really annoys me as well is that they didn't point this out to the rescue either. they said they were moving and weren't allowed pets in the new place. it's not a specilised chin rescue so they didn't pick it up, however, if these people had said, she would have got help 2 weeks earlier.

she lets me stroke her now. she comes to my hand & gives me nibbles. she jumps on me when she's out of the cage. i think this is absolutely amazing given that we've not had the luxury of giving her space and time to get used to us - and she's only been with us for three weeks. instead we have to give her nasty medicine and pick her up all the time and she still loves us.
she's having the xray on thursday. i keep telling myself that even if it's bad news, she's happy now and that's what matters. but fingers crossed she can stay happy for years to come!

Chins

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 12:25:58 AM »

wow! I applaud you very much.

It's a shame that some people don't have the ability to empathize with others. What you doing is a great thing, she will recognize what your doing for her.  :::grins::
Good luck and please keep us updated on her progress. 

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 08:17:57 AM »

Sending your newest addition lots of love and hugs...for her to heal quickly...and be healthy and happy...People never cease to amaze me. Some are completely heartless, soul-less and pitiful. Hurting animals breeds horrible KARMA. I hope your new baby will thrive with you and your family.   ;)

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »

thank you guys! she's doing very well! she's steadily putting on weight, she's full of beans and into absolutely everything now! today i came home to discover she now produces proper chinchilla poo at chinchilla pooing frequency! this is absolutely amazing because so far she was constipated most of the time, had diarrhoea twice, the best we had so far was very very small but moist poos.

i was just saying to my husband on the phone that if you just looked at her and didn't know there was something wrong, from what she looks like (he fur is lovely now!), her activity level and her pooing, you wouldn't know she has a problem!

but, she's going for an xray tomorrow so please keep all your fingers crossed for my little girl.
i'm really worried she may think that i've abandoned her :(

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 10:39:33 AM »

Well good luck with her xray. Thats great that she is doing much better!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up