Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ridley doesn't like me?  (Read 1537 times)

Chins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Ridley doesn't like me?
« on: January 19, 2011, 01:20:51 AM »

So Ridley seems to sometimes like me and sometimes not. When i try to pick him up from the cage he squeeks at me but after i press him close to my chest he's ok for a few minutes then tries to jump out of my arms. He does this a little less with my husband.

When I sit with Ridley and Saurumon in the playpen, Ridley jumps away from me when I try to pick him up. Saurumon doesn't mind at all, he's really interested in interacting.
The few occasions I am able to hold Ridley I give him a treat but then he just jumps right out of my arms.

Recently Ridley has discovered how to jump out of the playpen and when we pick him up after he jumps out he's very still, doesn't try to jump or squirm, almost like he knows he's in the wrong. After we put him back in the pen he'll sit and be still like he's pouting or sleeping. Saraumon just runs around the entire time and plays with the toys we put in the pen and on us. He's very still and very good when I pick him up but squirms when other people pick him up.

Ridley is usually not so squirmy when others pick him up but squeeks at me and usually jumps away. When I sit in the cage he doesn't always come over to me either, he just sits still (maybe asleep). When my husband sits in the cage Ridely will come over and jump on him. He seems to have spurts of activity during playtime, he'll sit still and then jump out of the pen repeatedly then sits still.
Not sure if this is just part of his personality??

Not sure if he dislikes me, and we're having a tough time bonding?

(hope this makes sense.)

Jhenderson27

• Appreciation points: 4
  • Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
Re: Ridley doesn't like me?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:50:25 AM »

Dont worry over the small stuff.  I have 2 of my 9 chins that HATE to be picked up, they squirm and move and just arent having a good time,  I try to work with them I just dont make it miserable for the, I use a wheat square or cherrio to entice them, but it sometimes works, sometimes doesnt.  Just be patient they are prey animals, they fear you until they learn to trust.  It has taken Venessa and I a year to get Luna completly entrusting in us.  Be patient and dont be too grabby with them, it scares them.  Just lay there and let them do their thing.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 07:00:36 PM »

Agreed. ::nod::
He's going to be around for years, take your time and let him want to come to you.
That's half the fun, getting into their little minds ;)
All chins are different, just no 2 alike.
It's not that he doesn't like you, and tolerating your husband more could be as simple as his deodorant. ;)
My chins love the fruity gum I chew but are not fussy one the minties. ::)
Find his favorites and make him go through you to get them.  ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 07:33:54 PM »

ditto ditto ditto... lol..

do not worry, he likes you.  you see chins take time to gain trust in humans, they are animals of prey so i'm sure that has alot to do with it [but i could be wrong, just a guess on that part].

even so,once you gain their trust, being picked up is something alot of chins do not like.. for instance, my chinchin, if i open he cage and just gently put my hands on both sides of him but not touch him, he will climb on, then i get a grip on him and he is fine, but if i just attempt to pick him up, he runs, barks..etc... i know he trusts me, he climbs onto me like i said, he is fine when i am holding him, but that act of picking him up is just something he doesnt' like.. kind of like many cats, you pick them up and they will squirm until you put them down, but if you are just sitting there, they jump on you and want lots of loving...
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Chins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 12:15:42 AM »

Thanks guys! yes I realize they have long lives and I keep reminding myself that a few months in their 10 years of life or more will soon be insignificant. I just wouldn't want him to be unhappy with us.
Saurumon is totally fine and doesn't seem to mind being handled, except by strangers.

We are definately working with Ridley and we are being as patient as can be.

Thank you again for your advice
Pages: [1]   Go Up