Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP!! COMPULSIVE ITCHING?  (Read 6794 times)

animalluver

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
HELP!! COMPULSIVE ITCHING?
« on: February 27, 2011, 08:50:59 PM »

I was sitting in my room today and noticed my chinchilla was itching rather a lot. Most of it was comprised of her twisting her head around and biting, but it was interspersed with leg-itching like a dog would do, so I thought she was just feeling a little itchy, since they can't get fleas. When I came back upstairs tonight, though, and took her out, I noticed on both sides of her middle body area the fur looked wet. It wasn't damp at all, but it was sticking in sort of spiky, darker clumps. It wasn't soft, and I think it was shorter, too. Is this fur chewing and how do I stop it?  ::scaredspeachless::

opaldamour

• View Profile
Re: HELP!! COMPULSIVE ITCHING?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:42:29 AM »

They absolutely can get fleas, although it is rare because of the fact that they are inside pets and have such dense undercoats. Have you been offering you chin a dust bath regularly? I would dust him every other day (you can do it every day, but I worry about dry skin and itchiness that way). Is there fur loss? If there is you could have a ring-worm problem, and you need to see a vet immediately. Ringworm can be fatal to chins, and is transferable across species (you can get it, dogs and cats can get it, etc).

However, if it's fur biting only (although it doesn't sound like it) you wont be able to stop it completely. Some chins just chew their fur. My girl Dharma is a fur biter. We try to keep her busy and minimally stressed to MINIMIZE the amount of fur chewing she does, but she never completely stops the chewing. As long as she doens't have bald patches, or has chewed half her fur off, we figure it's just her little tick.

Regardless, it's sounding like it's Vet time for your little friend.

animalluver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 07:54:26 AM »

We figured out the other day the cause. She had gotten better but then suddenly it started again and I realized that each time it happened I had oiled her wheel the night before. I think when she runs she's getting it on her sides, and then is licking or biting it off. I gave her a long dust bath to get most of it out, and haven't oiled her wheel since.

opaldamour

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 08:21:39 PM »

Yeah, I dont recommend using any oils or chemicals in their cage (other then vinegar to clean when they are not in the cage) because they have such delicate body chemistry. Something that you think is perfectly safe (and may be for you) could potentially kill your chin. I dont give my girls anything that I haven't researched throughly and know atleast 2 other chin owners that have used it as well.

What kind of wheel do you use? Make sure it's not one with open bars or cross bars. they are a hazard and will break limbs and tails.

animalluver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 01:36:41 PM »

Yeah, she's all better now, I'm glad I realized before I did it again! No open bars and she's been using it two years with no mishaps!  :)

opaldamour

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 01:22:13 PM »

Oh good! I'm glad to hear she's doing so much better!

animalluver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 02:46:42 PM »

:::grins:: Thanks! I am too!
Pages: [1]   Go Up