Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: about my chinchila female  (Read 1460 times)

chingirls

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
about my chinchila female
« on: February 25, 2011, 07:19:50 AM »

I need some help. ok where do I start. recently some time ago my female chinchilla had babies. one turn up missing in a week and now recently the other one just died.

im still new to this,thinking the female chinchilla is lonely now. that it is safe to put the male chinchilla back in.
found out thats a mistake she wanted to kill him. help me understand whats going on.

its confusing she always got along with him before, now she picks a fight.
i see its to soon, when is the best time to get them back together.
and will she let him back in the home they have been in for a long time.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: about my chinchila female
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 10:29:13 AM »

If your female does not want the male back in she can and will kill him. You may need to keep them separate. And frankly you should not be breeding you cage is clearly not baby safe. Babies don't just disapear it is likely it got out and died a horrible death because you didn't find it.

The female may never let him back. He wants back cause he wants to breed her not because they were in "love" chinchillas are not little people in furry skin they do not feel the range of emotions people do. She wants to be alone and will not hesitate to kill him
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

chingirls

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 11:58:13 AM »

If your female does not want the male back in she can and will kill him. You may need to keep them separate. And frankly you should not be breeding you cage is clearly not baby safe. Babies don't just disapear it is likely it got out and died a horrible death because you didn't find it.

The female may never let him back. He wants back cause he wants to breed her not because they were in "love" chinchillas are not little people in furry skin they do not feel the range of emotions people do. She wants to be alone and will not hesitate to kill him

I'm not trying to breed anybody, they always got along. I thought maybe she wanted company. I am learning that was wrong. rabbits are not like this, i need to study up more on chinchillas. so i am going back to the library for a brush up.
and thanks.

ps. my one chinchilla baby disappeared, but the second one died of another reason. its not what you said it was.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 04:09:20 PM »

If the chinchilla baby "disapeared" you mean it was in the cage one minute gone later..Babies do not disapear it must have gotten out. As for breeding if you put a male and a female together you are breeding male + Female = babies  Babies=breeding
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 05:04:49 PM »

i agree. i don't understand how the baby disappeared. i must say, we discovered that fluffy was a girl by finding a little baby peeking at us from the outside of the cage at feeding time. two more were in the cage but we turned the room upside down to make sure there weren't more escapees and we put a guard around the cage.

it is not safe to put your male in. 1/ she is fully capable of killing him 2/ they will breed again. 

i disagree. while they are not little people with furry skin, they possess quite a range of emotions and they certainly do feel love. while the reproduction is purely for the purpose of reproduction, they do not just have sex every month when they live together and then ignore each other the rest of the time. a neutered male will still love his female partner without any attempts to mate even if they have engaged in such behaviour previously. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up