Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: About to Travel. Help!!  (Read 1732 times)

kulatr

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
About to Travel. Help!!
« on: February 28, 2011, 09:32:27 AM »

Hey, guys!  Really quick question.  I've been called out of town and will have to leave my chins for 5 days.  I have 2 options and I'm not sure which is best.  Firstly, I can leave them where they are.  I share an apartment w/ my dad so he can feed them and make sure they have water and such while I'm gone.  OR, my sister live very close to me.  She has offered to chin-sit for me and take care of them while I'm gone.  However, in order for her to care for them, I'd have to transport them to her house before I leave.

My concern is that if I leave them at home with my father, they will not get any interaction or run around time.  I know if I leave them home, they will be confined to their cage all day, every day while I am gone.  My dad is not a pet person and does not enjoy interacting w/ animals.  So I know he will feed them, but that is all.  My sister, however, has ample experience caring for pets and attending to their needs.  She also has children who are very good with small animals.  At my sister's, they would not only get food, but would also get time to run around outside the cage (with appropriate supervision, of course) and they would get plenty of socialization and human interaction.

Given how routine oriented my chins are, which is the best option for them?  Even though my sister and her family would provide interaction for them and space to run around outside the cage, would the change in environment be traumatic for them?  5 days seems like a very long time for my boys to go without interaction.  I'm just not sure what to do.

Any advice!?  It would be very much appreciated.  I'm afraid I'm in a pinch.  I leave in less than 24 hours so if it is better for me to take them to my sister's house, then I must do so in the next 12 hours.

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: About to Travel. Help!!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:14:55 AM »

hey. it's a tough one.

i would be tempted to leave them where they are. if they don't have much people interaction or run time for five days (are they housed together), i think they'll be fine. as long as they get fed, watered and checked that they are safe, it's probably less stressful than a new environment.

could your sister come an visit them once maybe?

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:43:30 AM »

Your chinchillas willbe fine for a week without run around time. Most breeders keep chinchillas in smaller cages with no run around time and they often have higher lifespans than the average pet. so 5 day than will be fine, and less stress on the chinchilla than going to a new environment
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

kulatr

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 11:17:07 AM »

Thanks so much, everyone!  My chins are housed together and I will leave them at the house where they will receive food and water.  I guess I just spoil my boys with lots of run around time on a day-to-day basis.  It makes me feel like I'm robbing them when I know they won't get it!  I'll definitely make sure to get plenty of hang out time and love on them plenty before I leave and after I get back....Maybe buy them a new toy or something. AH! I feel so guilty for leaving them!  lol

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 11:48:03 AM »

yes! leave them a lot of chews to keep them busy! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up