Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fan to cool  (Read 2379 times)

chinsandpigs

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Fan to cool
« on: April 26, 2011, 06:59:22 AM »

I have my chin in the basement until my husband puts the a/c's in. My Husbands been sick the past few days and doesn't do much. I'd really like to bring my chinchilla up so he can see me more. I go down to see him 3-4 times in the evening. I have a chin-chiller for him. Would a small fan help to keep cool at least at 1 of his 3 tiers.Maybe where he sits the most. The little fan has 3 speeds so i'd think low would be best? The room he'll be in doesn't have direct a/c but the 2 adjoining rooms will in the next week or so. Thanks for any advice..

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: Fan to cool
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 12:51:17 PM »

even tho i just suggested a fan to someone else, i should of said that all it will do is push around the hot air if its hot, but i'm thinking it can't hurt.  as for cooling a level of his cage, never let air, either from a fan, air conditioner, open window..etc. blow on your chinchilla, that can cause other problems to occur.

maybe what you can do if the air from the two adjoining rooms don't reach his room, is put a square box fan on the floor and blow the cool air in his room, just again, make sure its not blowing on him. thats what i do if its not that hot here and i didn't put the one up in their room.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 01:19:20 PM »

Chinchillas don't sweat.  Moving air doesn't cool them like it does us.  If the temp is 75 or above a chinchilla can die in minutes. Fans are great for helping to blow cold a/c air toward a cage but it the air its moving is warm air it will do no good at all.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

chinsandpigs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 01:55:51 PM »

I know they don't sweat. I'm gonna try to get my husband to put the other a/c in. I feel so bad he's stuck in the basement.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 07:57:07 AM »

They don't mind, it's more comfy for them.
I tell folks to keep the cages on the floor during the summer, it's cooler down there. Then we don't have the heat most of you have.
Placing a fan on the floor moves the cool air up instead of the warn air down."HERE"   :D
Debbie.nl.ca

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 09:27:22 AM »

Placing a fan on the floor moves the cool air up instead of the warn air down."HERE"   :D

And what is your temp there right now, Debbie?  Its a cool 85 degrees here with currently 91% humidity!!!  :2funny:
 I'm melting at my computer and it isn't even summer yet!  Can me and the chins come live with you???   rofl

Lowcountry Chinchillas

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:49:42 AM »

you lucky hot climate buggers :)

now this is not exactly fan related but it's temperature related. my chin room is south facing and while we do have ac, i had an idea last week. it's not hot over here but the room gets warm because the sun's on the window all the time. so, i've decided to make a blind (their blind is almost always down because of direct sunlight and open window) using silver reflective fabric facing the window and very lightweight fabric on the inside. i think that could help, especially on days when it's not that hot but ac runs anyway (i feel guilty - it's noisy!). has anybody tried anything like that?

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 10:07:46 AM »

That is a good idea.  We have used wall insulation to completely cover the windows in our chinchilla room during summer.  Since it gets in the 100s in mid summer we can't take any chances with heat.  Once the temp goes down below 70 we put box fans in the window blowing fresh air into the room.  Its not important to do when you just have one or two but when you have a lot of chinchillas in one room fresh air is VERY important.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

chinsandpigs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 10:38:35 AM »

He's upstairs now in my bedroom. Thats the coolest room. Plenty cold w/ the a/c on. I bought a thermometer that shows humidty too.

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 11:22:56 AM »

the hottest day on the isle of man last year reached 75 deg F :) but obviously that's outside. there are six chins and three guinea pigs in the room and they do get fresh air (not so much in winter because the window's shut and there's a draft excluder on the door) - when the ac failed, i got home and it was nearly 90 in that room!!!! they were all fine (not a single red ear) and fluffy was very pregnant at the time as well - a very lucky escape but you can imagine how much i freaked out. i'm considering buying a weather station that would upload temperature and humidity online so i could monitor it when i'm at work. i'll have to research that!

talking about freaking out - last sunday i had this horrible dream where mae, my rescue chin, announced that she was going to move to germany to live with her auntie because we live on the isle of man and don't have a boat and if there's a flood we have no way to escape. she was absolutely adamant that she was going, i woke up hysterically crying!!!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 09:26:19 AM »

We are still getting some frost here but going up to 50's in the day. ::) WOOhoo  :D

We can hit the 80's during the summer, July & Aug. But it stays cool in the basement. As long as I don't open the window until evening I don't have a big problem with heat.    :'(     :D
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up