Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats ok?  (Read 1138 times)

chinsandpigs

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Whats ok?
« on: April 29, 2011, 08:16:04 AM »

I'll probably be heading to the pet store today. I wanted some opinions on whats good and and not so good. Like a hammock, is it a good idea? I know chins chew anything. I know plastic items aren't good. I took out the silent spinner wheel that came in the cage. It has plenty of chew marks. I don't think the previous owners attatched it to the cage. Instead of an igloo i bought a ferret ball that tubes can attatch to but no tubes. Some privacy but still well ventilated. Thats what the chins sleep in at petco. Thanks for any input.

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Whats ok?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 09:16:41 AM »

mine have lots of hammocks and tunnels and snugs (i got them from hammockyhammocks.co.uk - the lady who makes them has chinchillas herself; i've started sewing last year so i make my own as well now)

fleece is deemed safe for chins but from my experience, most shop sold hammocks etc are either nylon fabric or furry stuff - i wouldn't go for either of them. if you do find a fleece (including straps) one, you may still find that your particular chin just likes to chew :) some do and some don't.

my lot love the fleece stuff and don't chew it. i have one snug that's lined with polar fleece and my rescue girl sometimes has that one (she has the tunnel at the moment) - she's had teeth problems so i knew she'd definitely be ok with it but now she's eating wooden chews, i'll just have to make sure she's not eating it when i put it in.

so basically, you're looking for fleece and need to be vigilant to see if there are any signs of damage :) if you can't find any where you live, have a look at hammocky hammocks. the prices are very reasonable, the products are fab and she ships internationally. the only 'thing' is that because it's just her doing this and all proceeds go to chin/piggy charities, it can sometimes take a while - the waiting times are on the website. however, i do think it's worth the wait and i know she's really good at getting stuff out quick if you have an emergency (like when you get a rescue unexpectedly!)

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 02:55:13 PM »

i forgot to say - you want hidden seams as well. an exposed seam can attract chewing.

chinchillacity

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla City: Toys, Supplies, & Care Info
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 08:09:22 PM »

I think the most important thing you can do if you are going to use anything items than wood is to check the items daily.  My boys have had fleece hammocks and usually leave them alone but last time I cleaned the cage, I found a hole that had been chewed (seems are sewn on the inside).  It has happened a few (maybe 3) times in the 7 years I've had them and no problems but I am not sure if I'm going to give them another one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up