Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Showings chins  (Read 3690 times)

Summer

• 4everchins
  • Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
Showings chins
« on: September 05, 2006, 07:39:47 PM »

:) Hi Guys I was just wondering about showing chins? any info would good.  ::silly::

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Showings chins
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 06:26:14 AM »

Its tons of fun!!  What would you like to know?  We start giving extra dust baths a few weeks before the show then no dust baths starting 2 days before the show.  This is so all of the dust has time to settle out and the chinchilla's true color will show.  You want to groom a few weeks before the show, then I do a serious grooming the day before the show so that show morning I only have to fluff them up and it takes a lot less time.  Do not cuddle or pet your chinchilla for a month before the show if you are really serious about the ribbons.  I know, this is impossible if your chinchilla is a family member!  But those of use with lots of chins that aren't used to being cuddled everyday can get away with it.  Just give a few extra raisins or small chew blocks to make up for it.  :)

Try to take one of every color because its much more fun to watch the show when you have an animal on the table!  Don't be embarrassed if your chinchilla doesn't get a blue ribbon.  We have all been there. I think my worst was a 3rd place ribbon once.  Keep in mind that a lot depends on whether the chinchilla is in prime.  A grand show champion on year could turn right around and do terrible at another show all because of being out of prime.

If you are unsure about how to tell if a chinchilla is in prime just shoot for 7 month old chinchillas.  Almost all of my chins are in their first perfect prime at that age (or close enough anyway)  Also, all other things being equal, size will really hurt a chinchilla so think about age when you choose who to take.  For 2 years now I have made the mistake of taking young girls that were within 2-3 days of making it into the adult class.  Because they were not yet fully grown they were noticable smaller than the more mature chinchillas on the table and lost out because of it.  So now I try to be the oldest chinchillas possible in the youth class...then you have the size advantage.
Although this years I don't think the birthdays worked out and once again I will be showing the youngest chinchillas possible in the adult class.  ::)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Summer

• 4everchins
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 07:59:44 AM »

Thank you,  ;)
I didn't know a lot that. Last weekend I went to see Ron Read and he showing some his that  are going, I thank I got bit by the show bug.  ::dancingspot::  I am going to see him again at the end of September.

Stacy

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • My chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 11:34:54 AM »

I want to go to the one in Rock Hill. I think it will be fun to watch and see all the chins.  ;)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 11:41:01 AM »

I hope you do go!  If you want to make a weekend out of it come to the pizza social Sat. night.  Its  a lot of fun.  Did you see the post about the pre-registration form?  You can download it on the website at http://www.secmcba.org under events

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Stacy

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • My chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 11:57:39 AM »

No i didn't notice that but I will send it in soon.
I don't know yet if I will be able to make it that night or not. I am coning my husband into keeping the kids that day and I don't know if he will agree to that night. I tried to talk him into coming but he said if he goes I will talk him into letting me get another chin. I could not argue there. I have been trying to talk him into taking out a built in chinacabnet in our house so I would have room for some more cages but he just looks at me like I am crazy. Chins really are addictive!

Summer

• 4everchins
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 09:57:45 PM »

Yes they are, once you get one you got to have more!  ::kiss99::
Pages: [1]   Go Up