Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help introducing a new chin  (Read 870 times)

MissLii

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Help introducing a new chin
« on: August 28, 2011, 01:16:16 PM »

Hey everyone!
 I’m new here and this is my first post, so I apologize for it being so long, ha ha. But, I have a friend who has two female chinchillas, Molly is a silver mosaic, and Binbing is a standard. They are sisters and a little over a year old, and they get along great. He is bonded to them very well, and takes them out every day.  Today he purchased a 4 month old female ebony from a breeder on his chinchilla forum. So far, she is doing great. He has her in a separate cage, in her own room, allowing her some time to calm down from the drive. Now, my question is what is the best way for him to introduce them? The breeder told him to lightly spray them with lemon water, to remove the scents of the chinchillas, and doing the same with the things in their environment. He is a little standoffish about this suggestion, and honestly, I am as well. He was also told that putting them together in a smaller cage at first would be safer. He doesn’t really like the idea of forcing them, because he is scared they will become aggressive with the smaller one. He was thinking about putting their cages next to each other for a few days (not too close, to avoid biting) so they can smell and talk, and then letting them out to play in an area they don’t usually go (so no one feels territorial), after a few days of that, allowing them to go into each others cages and get used to the other ones smell. If anyone has any suggestions, or comments about the methods above, I would really appreciate it! :::grins::

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Help introducing a new chin
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 05:29:34 PM »

I like his idea better too.  His problem will be that females are more territorial than males and he needs all three to be excepting of each other. 

The idea behind the lemon water is the hope that it will confuse the two bonded chinchillas into not being able to tell their cage mate from the new guy.  The hope is that they will then accept everyone.  The negative side is that first, the smell would need to be very strong to mask their own scent, and second, on occasion they will turn on the new chin AND each other because they know someone doesn't belong and can't tell who.  I have never tried this method myself.  I have talked with other people who have and it has had mixed results.

The idea behind the small box is that they are so cramped they can't get at each other to do a lot of damage.  I've also heard variations where the put the box in the car and go for a drive so the chinchillas are too busy being nervous of the changes that they don't think about fighting.  Again, I haven't used this method but I have heard both good and bad experiences from others.

I have always only used the side-by-side cage method and the switching cage method, along with introduction in a neutral cage or play area that everyone is new to.  I usually add a ton of tunnels and boxes that only fit one chinchilla so there are plenty of escape safe areas for them if they feel threatened.  I also watch them like a hawk during introductions.  Its also not a bad idea to have a glove or towel in case they hook up in a fight.  If you go in with bare hands to break it up yo could get a nasty bite.

I should also metion that I have only ever paired two girls or one girl and one boy.  Never multiple girls.  You should contact Debbie.nl.ca on the forums.  She breeds in small groups and has a lot of experience in getting multiple girls together.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

MissLii

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Help introducing a new chin
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 07:54:43 AM »

Well, I let him know every thing you said. The last thing he wants to do is cause problems between his original two chins. For the time being he is just going to put the cages side by side and take it one step at a time. Like you, I have never introduced three chins of the same sex, so I have no idea what he should do. I will take your advice and contact Debbie.nl.ca. Thank you so much for your help! :::grins::
Pages: [1]   Go Up