Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chester, my hero.  (Read 1018 times)

Mogsy

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Chester, my hero.
« on: September 13, 2011, 03:09:10 PM »

I'd been depressed for a long time. I mean, several years. Unwilling to hold down a job, missing my medication, developing a drinking problem. I spent a long time avoiding friends and family, feeling worthless and ashamed.

It was two days after my birthday; and the night after I'd gotten dangerously intoxicated. I had officially hit rock bottom. It was on a whim that I'd taken the cash I'd received for my birthday and gone to the pet store. I returned home with Chester and all the accessories.

More than two months later, I've done a complete 180. He's reignited my passion and love, life, cooking, art and nature. I'm working, enjoying friends and family, and have stopped drinking entirely. I'm also happily tapering off my anti-anxiety/ anti-depressant medication and using music therapy in lieu of.

I've had pets for more than ten years at a time, and I loved them very much. But nothing quite compares to the love, joy and excitement I get from spending time with my fuzzy little friend, even months down the road. He's helped me save me from myself without even knowing it.

This was a hard thing to share on such a public forum. If any of you have similar stories, or just want to share how your Chinny has changed your life, I invite you to do so!
Mogsy & Chester (The All Fatter), Thor and Loki

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Chester, my hero.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 03:20:43 PM »

so happy to hear that. i'm bipolar and my first chinchilla - chinchi - saved me. i lost him last year and it was the most awful thing ever. but i've got his wife and his babies and my rescue girl mae and they give me so much love. every time i start getting ill, they help. i also have three dogs and three guinea pigs and they also get more affectionate when i'm not feeling great - they know somehow!

Mogsy

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Chester, my hero.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 04:42:51 PM »

They are very smart and very receptive! Moreso than most people give them credit for. I'm sorry for the loss of Chinchi.  :::((( I dread the day when Chester dies. I'm happy that you still have your other pets and they keep you happy. Amazing how something so small can make such an enormous difference, both mentally and physically.
Mogsy & Chester (The All Fatter), Thor and Loki
Pages: [1]   Go Up