Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mastitis?  (Read 2813 times)

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
Mastitis?
« on: September 18, 2011, 04:32:26 PM »

::shrug::  One of Raisin's teats is red. She is not fully tamed so I can't really pick her up to examine her 6 teats.  She is still nursing, but sometimes she protests.  She did it a lot today.  How do I know if she has mastitis or not? She is acting like her normal self.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 09:29:22 PM by Squirrel_Butt »
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

PSV

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Mastitis?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 04:48:32 AM »

The easiest way to check her out is to pick her by the tail (not the middle nor the end but right at it's beginning ... near the body) Keep her firmly and do not shake her neither let her agitate.
Keep her for a couple of seconds upside down and she will chill out. Then gently expose her nipples and perform a visual check. You can do that either with your hand or by blowing towards them to expose the teats.
I really don't know what the treatment may be based on since I never experienced it but I guess it's neither damaging nor traumatizing.

Best of luck to you!

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 10:20:30 AM »

fluffy had mastitis - it is important this gets treated asap. i would not check her upside down to be honest. just sit her on your lap with her facing away from you and have a look. if it's red, quite hard and/or swollen, it's probably mastitis. the duct will be blocked or getting there. there may be teeth marks as the babies are still trying to get the milk - this would be really painful. this needs veterinary assessment.

the treatment may require antibiotics - obviously not ideal given she's nursing. warm compresses on the area and massage. i managed to get fluffy better with warm compresses and massage several times a day (every few hours). she wasn't pleased, i was super scratched. again, this needs a vet to have a look at it (take babies with mum, make sure they're all warm) - it may not be possible to treat her with warm compress and massage alone (i was given two days to see if it gets any better before putting her on antibiotics and it cleared).

in any case, you have to pick her up, not just to examine her but to treat as well. when they're sick, it matters not whether they like being picked up or not, you have to do it. mae, my rescue girl actually bit me twice that hard i bled (she is the only chinchilla who's ever done that) in the first week i had her but i had to pick her up to keep her alive. she absolutely loves me now. they may not understand it, but you do :)

if mastitis is untreated, she WILL stop nursing, she will run away from the kits, she may lose the ability to produce milk on the side where the teat with mastitis is and the inflammation/infection may spread which is potentially fatal.

i suggest you get her to the vet asap. if she stops nursing, you're in for weeks of hand feeding. i had triplets i needed to keep alive for three weeks before she resumed her duties - this was hand feeding every two hours day and night and each feed took over half an hour. it wasn't fun. go while she's still nursing!

Squirrel_Butt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 02:32:03 PM »

Where exactly are her 6 teats located? I found 2 by the armpit, but the rest I M not sure where. She is difficult to hold. She doesn't bite any more but she wriggles. She is not fully tamed.  Would it be possible to supply a pic of an inflamed teat and a normal one for me to compare hers to?  The earliest I can get her to a vet is Friday.

She is nursing normally now. Sometimes there will be little to moderate protesting.  Will she act different in the early stages of mastitis?  Right now they are nursing. Raisin is sitting there peacefully.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:33:40 PM by Squirrel_Butt »
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

Squirrel_Butt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 05:19:26 PM »

Ok an update: I had Raisin checked by the vet today, and she and the kits are normal.  :)
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 04:15:46 AM »

Ah that's great! Good to hear :)

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 08:42:58 AM »

yay! brilliant! you will notice mum tells the kits off every so often when they're nursing and rearranges them etc - this is, i'm guessing, because they have teeth and they're pretty damn sharp - i would imagine it must hurt a lot when they get over excited.

as for the teets, they are in two vertical rows, starting under the armpit and down.

Squirrel_Butt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 02:45:58 PM »

Yup the vet showed me were they were. Only 2 are active. I guess its because she has only 2 kits?
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 09:02:53 AM »

quite possibly. were they the bottom two?

Squirrel_Butt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 02:16:42 PM »

The top 2 were active. The rest weren't
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 12:02:22 PM »

i think i've read somewhere the top two are the ones with most milk but i found that my lot were nursing from the bottom two!

Squirrel_Butt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 06:52:07 PM »

The bottom 2 on Raisin aren't even developed. The top 2 look like pink tooth picks, the other 4 are just pink spots
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 10:34:13 AM »

that's strange. they usually all elongate a couple of weeks before birth.

Squirrel_Butt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 10:28:17 PM »

She was bred before 8 months. They should be bred after 8 months, so maybe that has something to do with it.  When I adopted her she was already 2/3 pregnant.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 06:07:13 AM »

could be!
Pages: [1]   Go Up