Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Always Breeder?  (Read 1233 times)

ylrebmik

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Always Breeder?
« on: October 20, 2011, 08:54:27 PM »

I'm debating between two males (from a local exotic pet store) and two females (from a breeder). It's been a tough decision, but I always believed pet stores were inferior and didn't take well enough care of their animals. Would you say always, always, always go with breeder?

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Always Breeder?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 11:39:35 AM »

it's a tough one. i got chinchi from a pet store and he never had any health problems apart from hard skin on his feet (i totally panicked over that). sadly he died when he was just three as the chin i got from a breeder that was supposed to be a boy turned out to be a girl but we only found out when she gave birth. so chinchi had to be neutered and developed complications  ::cry222::: this obviously would not have happened had he not had the surgery. he was a pink white and weighed over 800g which is big for a boy, he had fantastic fur quality and was generally a very healthy happy chin.

fluffy i got from a breeder. i live on the isle of man and there's a breeder who owns a pet shop, he only has one breeding pair so not many litters but he goes away and brings animals from breeders from the uk. he brought fluffy for me and a/ she was supposed to be a boy b/ she just had a dental and a lot of her back teeth are growing at an angle.

i think that there are quality breeders and there are breeders who don't necessarily know the history of the breeding pair far enough etc. so i would say quality breeder is probably your best choice. other breeders and pet shops perhaps both are hit and miss. however you decided, i would strongly suggest you have the sexes triple checked. i bought chinchi as a girl, he was a boy. fluffy was supposed to be a boy, she's a girl.

ylrebmik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 02:16:15 PM »

Thank you!

It is a tough choice. I really like the girls we picked from the breeder, but I'm reluctant about girls because I reallllly don't want them to spray urine. But who does, right? The breeder also said that he has more luck with bonding males than females. Ahh, decisions. I will make sure to check the sexes wherever I go!

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 02:32:37 PM »

i have four girls and there have only been two incidents of spraying. they only spray if they're scared or sometimes if there's something medically wrong as it can result in them feeling stressed.

ylrebmik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 03:14:37 PM »

Thanks!

I made a decision! I'm getting two female kits from a breeder. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up