Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla Partner?  (Read 974 times)

dsbecky

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chinchilla Partner?
« on: October 23, 2011, 03:20:51 PM »

I have a 3 year old male chinchilla who has been in my care for about four months. I try to give him alot of attention, because he lives alone -I know that this is not the best arrangement for him, and don't want him getting lonely and unhappy, but everything I have read thus gar seems to say that it is too late to integrate another chinchilla. Has anyone successfully introduced chins and had them be cage mates whe one was an older male? What should I do to ensure that he is not lonely?

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Chinchilla Partner?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 05:10:29 AM »

I have found that most chinchillas like being alone after a certain age of living alone.  It can be very hard to get them together and they are very violent if they don't get along.  There are many posts on getting chinchillas together and many methods on how to do this but just know that every chinchilla is different.  If you want to get another one you must know going in that it is very possible they will never get together.

My advice is, if YOU want another chinchilla you should consider it.  If you think HE wants another chinchilla don't do it.  It sounds like he gets a lot of attention from you and I am sure he is very happy.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Chinchilla Partner?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 08:30:31 AM »

i have only introduced adult chins and i agree that it was really rather hard! mae who's a rescue, we are guessing she's at least 6-7 years old, took six months of intros but they are now very happy together. i'm hoping that this will give her a boost, she's very dependent on me and will not eat while i'm not at home - i normally go see her before work and then straight after i get home, she will not start eating until i go see her which has caused problems in the past when i had to go away for a full day (she got seriously sick).

chinchi was 2 when i introduced him to fluffy and that took about two months.

with both of them, they absolutely adored me before they accepted their partners. afterwards, they liked me still but it was nowhere near the relationship we had beforehand. so i guess they do appreciate having a partner! but not wanting one or a very hard and long introduction is a very real possibility!
Pages: [1]   Go Up