Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lesions on my Chin  (Read 1390 times)

KShook

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Lesions on my Chin
« on: October 19, 2011, 01:39:46 PM »

Hello All!

I had a chin for 8 years - my sister now has her since I decided that bringing her to CA would be to long of a trip for an 8 year on chinny "She's now 13 years old" -- Anyways, recently she has a lesion on her neck what I would have guessed it to be a Spider Bite? That is now healed up. She is now chewing at her arms and her Bottom Jaw Area where her bottom teeth are which is now bald. Has anyone had anything like this happen before? I'm now staring to think she may have some teeth in the back that are infected and need to be extracted? If you've had something similar happen pleeeeeeease let me know! My sister is planning to bring her back to the vet so they can re-check her mouth again. But my poor baby just sits in her cage all day and just chews at herself and squeaks! We need to figure this out before she gets to stressed out and passes away since she's so old!

Thank You All

~Kayla

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Lesions on my Chin
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 08:57:01 AM »

i'm sorry i can't help with the chewing :( but i'm wondering, what does the area underneath her chin looks like? is it directly under her chin so the area where she can't actually get to with her teeth? which would suggest the fur fell out? is the skin smooth? are there any bumps?

quite often if there's an infection, there's a lack of hair. the reason i'm asking about the skin and bumps, my rescue girl, mae has a bone infection in her chin. she had absolutely no fur on her chin when i got her but her condition is chronic and it has caused the bone to extend so she pretty much has a tusk. she also has a sore which gets better and worse. this condition is treatable when it's acute. in mae's case it's too late as there are no antibiotics that could treat this that are safe to use on chinchillas. it doesn't bother her in any way, most of the time.

is she eating? has she lost weight?

i would suggest a trip to the vet. the stress can be caused by pain so maybe if she has pain relief she'll feel a little better?

good luck!

KShook

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 10:14:25 PM »

well the assumed spider bite wound has now healed - that was on her neck area under her chin - now she's been biting at her inner arms and her bottom jaw teeth area "literally her bottom teeth area s just a patch of baldness"  no bumps or anything - she's currently on antibiotics, anti - inflammatory med and a cream to sooth the area..The vet is running out of ideas..I'm on here looking for answers more so suggestions on what should be done??!! Not sure what else it could be??

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 12:00:31 PM »

i'm just wondering how can she possibly bite the fur from under her front teeth? she can't reach that, right? i would suggest looking into teeth problems/bone infection. i have no idea how a bone infection is diagnosed - perhaps it shows on an xray? but i believe it requires a more aggressive treatment than standard antibiotics.

having said that. i think the fur chewing can sometimes develop into a habit even if the problem that originally set it off is gone - i don't have any experience with this, however, perhaps it would be a good idea to post a new thread with fur chewing/pulling title and someone else may know more!

PSV

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 03:52:50 AM »

Are the regions mentioned completelly bald? Have you ever seen the chin actually bite the fur?
Have you considered a possible fungal infection?
Pages: [1]   Go Up