Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to control the dust?  (Read 2124 times)

cold1313

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
How to control the dust?
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:52:31 PM »

Hi everyone.  First post here.

I have 3 chinchillas, 3 separate cages...and dust everywhere!  I've had them for several years now, and it just seems impossible to control the dust, it just gets everywhere. 

The dust I have is extremely fine, Blue something or another.  I don't have the bag anymore.  I bought it off of a local breeder who shows chins - it seems to be extremely good....but since it's so fine, it goes everywhere.

Any suggestions?  I hate to have to put the little guys up for adoption, but I just can't stand the dust much longer.

Thank you!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: How to control the dust?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 06:55:21 AM »

Blue cloud is a wonderful dust and yes it goes everywhere!!  Here is my tip:

Get a box large enough to hold the dust bath container with flaps that close on top.  Cut a 3 inch diameter hole on the side of the box that isn't blocked by the dust bath.  When it is time to dust put the chinchilla in the box and close the flaps (once the chin is used to dusting in the box you can just let him climb in through the hole)  The box will catch most of the dust and when the chinchilla is done he will have to squeeze through the hole.  This will pull a lot of the dust from his fur.  Now your room is cleaner from the bath itself and your chinchilla will have less dust to spread about.

If you have a small cage and don't let your chinchillas come out to play you can get a box big enough to cover the door of the cage and just set the box in front of the open door so the chinchilla can enter through the hole.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

cold1313

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 06:59:16 AM »

Thank you!

Would that be more effective than using my plastic dust "house"?  It looks like a little house, so it's enclosed pretty good.  Probably a larger opening, since they shake off dust after they get out.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 06:42:38 PM »

Yes it would be more effective.  If you measure out 3 inches that is a pretty small hole.  Some chinchillas have to work a little to get their butts out!  This means less dust floating out while they bathe and a lot less dust in the air once they are done since pushing through the hole will brush off a lot of dust.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

cold1313

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 06:44:59 PM »

Great, thank you!  Any recommendation on size of container?  Do you have them exit the top of the box (the lid) or the side?

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 10:07:34 AM »

I have some large candy jars with smaller necks, and a still bottle. I also have tupper wear type rectangle containers I cut a hole in one side and leave the cover on. I also put the right back in the cage after a bath.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up