Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introducing Male and Female  (Read 949 times)

Ilovefurballs

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Introducing Male and Female
« on: December 10, 2011, 12:07:39 PM »

Hi, Quarantine time is over and I have had them in seperate cages next to each other, then on top of each other. First time they were together Comet, the male was overanxious and Hayley, the female was saying BACK OFF. I gave them another week of being in FN 142 cage and tried again today. At first there was aggressive noises and so I trimmed Comet's whiskers and rubbed both of their bums and noses with vanilla. After a bit they started to pay attention to oneanother and then Hayley was mounting Comet. A while later they were grooming each other. They are back in their own cages. My question is, after doing this a few times, and if they continue to groom each other, what are the chances that they could still turn on each other after they have bonded? The previous owner who had Comet had put him with a male and Comet beat him up.
Both Chinchillas come from reputable breeders and are ok with these two being used for breeding. I am doing a lot of research and have started going to chin shows.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: Introducing Male and Female
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 10:26:33 PM »

There is always a chance they will turn on each other, Any time you have more than 1 in a cage it is a risk. I have lost more mares to breeding than to same sex pairs so you Always have to be vigilant.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing Male and Female
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 04:59:31 AM »

it sometimes takes a lot more intro time than having them in separate cages and then putting them together. i would not be putting them into a cage together just yet (the cage belongs to somebody!) - you need a neutral territory with lots of distractions. do playdates, separate them if there's any trouble. you really don't want them to get hurt because then it's pretty much off, this can be avoided. swap toys, poo, food dishes between cages. from my experience, slow is the way of doing it. one of my couples took two months and we thought there was absolutely no way they would end up in the same cage and they did. my rescue girl has started living with her 'boyfriend' (he's neutered) recently - this took six months of intros but i was being extra cautious as she only has three legs and i didn't want her to get injured simply by falling when moving away from him or being knocked down.

they can always turn against each other when they have bonded but this can happen with any pair.

Pages: [1]   Go Up