Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP Travelling cross country with Chinchillas  (Read 7790 times)

Chins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
HELP Travelling cross country with Chinchillas
« on: November 29, 2011, 11:57:12 PM »

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I are moving cross country from Los Angeles to Florida on December 17th, 2011. We estimate the drive will take us about a week.
We are in a conflict about our chinchillas. We want to move with them but it seems the risk of them not making it can be quite high. Even though the weather will be cooler in December so the risk of overheating is less of a risk, pneumonia is a concern. We are also concerned about the stress the trip will cause them- ie being in a small space for a long period of time and transporting them out of the car into the hotel room every night.  
One of our chinchillas got a really bad eye infection that transferred from one eye to the other, the first couple days we brought him home over a year ago.  We worry if something were to happen to them during the trip there would be nothing we could do for them. We do not want to watch them pass away during that week because of us.

On the other hand, giving them up is going to be extremely difficult  for us emotionally and we are not sure if we will be able to find them a good home in a little less than 2 weeks.
The breeder we originally bought them from has now moved to Mexico.
We want to do what is best for them.

Any advise would be helpful.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 12:00:42 AM by Chins »

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: HELP Travelling cross country with Chinchillas
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 09:59:20 AM »

Hi,
It can be done, we moved from Alaska to WI and it took us 10 days to get here. The chins were lucky to be in their cages during the move. When we would stop at a hotel I would take their cages into the room  and take care of them as I normally would. I think there was a few times I couldn't get them in a room and they stayed out in the car. I had a sheet draped over one side of their cages. But they travel fine, they could see the other animals were in their own cages. So I think sense we had everyone in the car it made the move easier for the chins. I wanted to tell you so that you don't have to get rid of your chins, that would hard on you and them. I know before we drove down here my Aunt wanted us to get rid of all our animals, she didn't think they would make it. But like I said they all made it just fine, good luck with your move.
Quyana Shannon Seager

Chins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 02:04:50 AM »

Wow thank you. We feel much better about that. I cried about all night last night, and i was feeling depressed all day today.
We've been talking to other chinchilla owners about how to make the move easier.
Do you have any tips on how to prepare them for the move?? - ie. draping towels over the cage while driving and moving them from car to hotel to less then the stress. or putting the cage on the seat of the car or on the floor of the car while driving??

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 09:34:28 AM »

We had brought all of our pets, my brother made a big cage in the mini van for the 3 cats, 8 dogs and the rabbit, who was in her own kennel. The chins cages where on either side of the sliding doors so I could take care of them easier. I had at that time those 3 story chinchilla cages, so my brother had made it so that the sides with the doors that I had to open were facing out. The sides of the cages that were facing the other animals I put a sheet in back of the cages to keep the cats or the dogs from bothering them and I left enough sheet to pull over their cages just in case I couldn't take them into a hotel.  I had left their dust boxes on the cages to help them with the travel, I thought if they got to stressed they could at lest have a bath. While we were coming though Canada I brought them in to the hotel, cages and all. I didn't let them out. I think that sense all of the animals were together it made the trip for them very easy. The chins didn't have a problem, their poo was good, they ate the same things I had brought from home, Their water in take was very good. If you have any other animals keep them in the car with you. The chins know them and it might help them with the move. You know the whole family is still together thing. If you have the room to leave them in the cages that will problem help the best, that would be less stress on them I think. Good luck, have a safe drive
Quyana Shannon Seager

Chins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 02:35:58 AM »

Thank you for the advice. We're a small family, just me, my husband, and our two chinchillas. I really like your idea of having the sheet covering the cage.
We feel more secure about traveling with them knowing that it can be done with longer trips. We were so distraught about giving them up vs taking them.

thank you so much!.

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 09:28:27 AM »

Hi, It was no problem. I'm glad I could help you out.  ;)
Quyana Shannon Seager

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 10:18:21 AM »

Yes 2 chins shouldn't be a problem. Get them used to the temp cage and put their familiar items in with them. They will be much happier staying with you on the trip than you rehomeing them for good.
 ::wub::
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 12:51:58 PM »

::silly::   Over the years, we have found each chinchilla is different, even as traveling companions. 
Some prefer to stay in the cage with the cage almost, but not completely covered with a light weight cloth ... they seem to feel safer in a partially enclosed small space. If the cage is completely closed/covered up, their own body heat can build up inside the cage.  Never put them inside a box or more than just a few minutes.
Caution:  Do not place the chin on the floor of the car/van/truck!  Heat from underneath the auto itself, (example: exhaust pipes) can cause a build up of heat inside the cage.  Heat from your heater (even if you have the chins in the floorboard behind the front seat) the heat will go directly on to the chin via the open area under your car seat and or heat the metal in the cage and can cause a heat stroke.  Chinchillas can handle the cold better than heat.
As you travel, make sure the sun coming through the windows does not allow the sun to shine directly on the chin or the cover over the cage.  The sun can cause a heat build up just shining through the window directly on an object.
We have even had a few that want to ride on our shoulder and watch the cars go by ...you'd be surprised at the responces of the people in the other cars.  Some have liked to  hide underneath my hair or ride in my lap with it's head stuck under my arm.  Each is different ... I would try a few little short rides around town to see what each chin may prefer.  Then, too ... they may decide they want a change after a few hours on the road.  Some hotels may not allow your chinchillas ... make sure they do, or prepare to sneak them in and make sure there are no signs left they were inside with you.
If you are good to your chins and love them ... which you must be or you would not bother to ask ... they will be much happier with you than adjusting to a new home ... especially one you can not guarantee would care for them the way you do.  :)
Hope this helps.

Jo Ann   ::wave::
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Chins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 12:04:23 AM »

Thank you for all the great advice. We really do feel better about taking them now. I like the idea of draping a sheet over the cage so they feel secure.
We will be doing a lot of sneaking them into the hotel rooms, we don't really feel comfortable leaving them where we cannot see them.
I know that actually traveling with them will be a different story.. i'm just hoping everything will be ok.
I cannot deny that while we feel better about the idea, we're still nervous. We wouldn't want anything to happen to them during the trip where we will be powerless to do anything for them...

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 09:41:57 AM »

We stayed at motel 8 and they are pet friendly. You just pay a little extra for the pets.
Quyana Shannon Seager

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 09:22:10 AM »

::silly::  When you take the chins inside with you ... welcome or not ... always use your own sheet/blanket spread out under the cage and be sure to dump the sheet/blanket outside when leaving.  

Play time should be in the bathroom ... easy to clean up.  

Make sure they do not chew on woodwork or furniture ... that could cost you in more ways than one ... it might poison your chin if it has been sprayed and/or certain cleaners leave a residue on surfaces. 

Never let your little one play on carpet that is damp ... the cleaners used to shampoo it can enter his system through his feet if it has not dried completely or if it were to get wet again.

Remember ... extra charges can be added to your credit card if you mess up and don't clean up or get caught with them when you are not suppose to have them in the room.  Plan ahead!

Place something between the back of the seat or where ever you set the cage ... remember ... chins love to chew! 
Plastic sheeting between the area and what ever you use as a spacer between the cage and what is near them during travel.  Make sure the plastic is not directly exposed to the chinchillas.  They can reach most anything within 1 to 2 inches of the cage with their teeth (not to mention pulling it inside the cage) ... and about 7 feet accurately when they spray.  Protect your belongs as well as your chins!

Make sure all items inside the cage are securely anchored in place ... don't take a chance on squishing a chin.  Huts can be anchored/secured to the wire of the cage by using 2 large metal O rings and a long screw on each side or 2 on one side.  The rings should be large enough to span over at least two adjacent wires.  Place 1 O ring inside the cage between the wood and the wire, use the second O ring on the outside of the cage.  Having the two O rings used this way assures no slipping.  If you use wing nuts instead of regular screws, check them often, they can loosen during driving and transporting.  

Dishes should snap into metal holding rings or attach directly to the cage.  Water bottles should be glass and not used during the travel time ... offer them water during stops and over night.

I'm sure there are others that will have good suggestions, also.

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 09:34:29 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Chins

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 11:08:43 PM »

Hey Everyone. Thank you for all the great advice!
We have successfully made it to Florida, tonight in fact. Both of my boys seems fine. We used the small cage we had originally bought them in to travel with. We covered them with towels while traveling to help them feel safe and used a box to temporary transport them in and out of the hotels.
We haven't moved into our new place yet as the movers are coming in a couple days with our stuff.

So far so good.  ;)
As soon as we move into our place, they will be able to comfortably adjust.
Pages: [1]   Go Up