Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backyard Grass?  (Read 945 times)

Lucy Tills

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Backyard Grass?
« on: February 19, 2012, 05:09:50 PM »

Hi!

My name is Lucy Tills and I just recently adopted a chinchilla named Reepicheep. He's a really sweet little guy and I've completely fallen in love with him in the past week that I've had him.

I'm trying to tame him a bit and get him more comfortable with me. He already let's me pet him and takes treats from my hands. I'm using the treats mainly as a source for training, but I don't want him to get fat. So I've been doing some research on various greens I can give him as treats, since he doesn't get those regularly yet. However, I read that I have you to get them organic foods which I don't currently have access to, because we don't have organic foods available consistently at our local grocery store.

So I read I could give my chinchilla grass and dandelions, but without pesticide. Is it all right if I give him grass or dandelions from my backyard?

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
Re: Backyard Grass?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:56:08 PM »

I wouldn't risk it. Not only are there about a gazillion (okay maybe not that many, but there are a lot!) of variations of the same species of plant (especially flowers),but unless you planted that yourself you aren't sure what's in the soil. The best company in my opinion is Oxbow, and you can find a lot of natural treats from them (and online!).
And no matter what the treats are, limit them or he will stop eating his normal diet since he will be stuffed full of treats!

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: Backyard Grass?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:13:24 PM »

The biggest risk of back yard grasses is intestinal parasites that can be picked up through the grass.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up