Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PLEASE HELP!!!! trust issues..  (Read 1108 times)

Lmk928

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
PLEASE HELP!!!! trust issues..
« on: January 23, 2012, 10:54:01 PM »

OK! so I finally joined this site because I am seriously struggling over here, I'm at a total loss..

I have two chinchillas, Doodle and Scribbles. Female and male.

I've had my girl Doodle for 4 years, since she was a young thing, and Scribbles for about a year, received from a prior owner.  They are both around 4 yrs old

I am still having trust issues with them. They won't run from me right away or anything like that, they run up to the front of their cages when i walk into the room so i can pet their noses and heads, Scribbles lets me pet him under the chin and head. they'll even crawl all over me when they're out. (they are not pumped about being pet when they're out they'll usually hop away)

Doodle will let me pet her when the cage door is open.. up until she hears some sound from my house and literally just wigs out-- like jumps to the point of hitting her head on something or darting behind things. I fear that she blames these sounds on me or something thus separating further the trust bond.

She also doesn't really seem too like being pet as much as she used to before the accident... (she used to cock her head back like Scribbles.. and nuzzle me back) now she'll stay there for a moment... then hop away.

I'm in fear that Doodle is under ptsd ? she dislocated her foot on the first cage I had about a year and a half ago. (it got caught in the lip of one of the ledges and she wound up upside down :::((().

I was the first to handle her to get her out of it (is she attributing the accident to me?)

and then she was handled by several people foreign to her including my relatives, the exotic pet veterinarian, and nurses. (is she holding a grudge??)

Picking them up is also an issue. .   I NEED to take them out to clean their cages, and to let them out to play, and getting them to come out will typically take over an hour if not longer

I've been very patient about staying *outside of the cage* and letting them walk onto my hands and giving them a raisin when they get really close or actually hop on.

Scribbles is great with this.. and sometimes will even leap out of the cage onto me. Doodle will do it maybe once a month, if that, otherwise ill have to wait until she gets into her dust bath. and pick her up that way.. but even then she'll hop out of the dust bath before I get her out and that can be dangerous.

and 3 days ago Scribbles started SCREAMING at night.. like not just barking or whining, -- like death scream.

I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong? I'm so sad..  I need advice.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: PLEASE HELP!!!! trust issues..
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 08:57:28 AM »

I don't think animals really "hold grudges" but they do remember traumatic experiences and do their best to avoid the circumstances that surround them. Unfortunately this can include simply being handled by people. What you have to do is handle them when they are in good circumstances and make them as comfortable as possible. Make sure whatever noises that are bothering them are not present when you do this! Running a fan in the room can mask the noise if it's that quiet (don't blow the fan on them).
I've read on other areas of the forum that you can go in after them, but come from underneath and not above. Hold your pet in your arms for a couple of minutes until it calms down before you release it so it's not associating being handled with that initial flight response each time. Being too hands-off is not a good way to tame animals. Find a balance.
As far as your chin screaming that could be a sign that something could be causing it pain. Watch carefully for changes and causes. It might be a good idea to weigh your chins a couple times a week to help with this. This can be somewhat stressful for them too until they gets used to that so you're kind of in a catch-22.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Lmk928

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE HELP!!!! trust issues..
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 11:59:05 PM »

lol ok so i tried something weird.. i bent over and turned my back to the cage... and they climb on me up to my shoulders.. and let me walk away with them ..... SUCCESS!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up