Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need some tips and help with handling please :)  (Read 1245 times)

xkatxrinax

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
I need some tips and help with handling please :)
« on: February 07, 2012, 04:29:16 PM »

I recently adopted two beautiful four month old female chinchillas from a rescue centre. They have been very trusting from the beginning as they were used to many people at the rescue centre, they are learning to tolerate petting but the only problem is they haven't been handled much so they struggle a lot when i'm trying to carry them out for their playtime. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for making them feel more reassured and calm when i'm handling them or will it just happen naturally over time? They aren't afraid of me because they run up to me in their cage and they even fall asleep on my lap during playtime.

gavinschin

• View Profile
Re: I need some tips and help with handling please :)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:38:22 PM »

I would never pick any of mine up to move them out. I would just open the cage. After a few weeks of this, they ran out as soon as it opened, I would lay a treat per Chin (raisin) in the middle of the small room and they knew to come get the treats. I always tried not to pick them up much. But I have heard of the raisin in the hand trick, just put a raisin in your hand and the chin will eat it, then over time of doing this, move the raisin closer and closer to your body. The chin will climb onto your arm to get the raisin, but will run back really fast. An extra thing I've heard is to do this with an oat. It takes longer to chew than a raisin and will get them more comfortable being on you for more than 2 seconds. Hope I helped! It's been a while!!!

xkatxrinax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 03:14:57 PM »

They're fine about climbing onto me they love it, maybe I should let them climb on my shoulder to bring them out, i'm just worried about them escaping and getting lost somewhere, the thing is their playroom is a different room to where their cage is, so I have to carry them to it.

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 10:39:08 PM »

If I'm taking my chin to another room to play (he plays in my room sometimes, and the bathroom other times) I actually will put him in a box (I use the carrier I got with him since it has handles and holes; or a shoebox with holes will work!) not only for him to feel okay about it, but since my sister has a curious kitten as well. He jumps in the box whenever he wants to go to the bathroom now! Hope this helps :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up