Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Early Bird Chinchilla  (Read 957 times)

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
Early Bird Chinchilla
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:45:14 AM »

So I know chins are active during dusk and dawn, and are also nocturnal in the wild. I also know that each domesticated chin is different, but does anyone else have a chin that is more active in the morning than at night? It is 1:30 am here (I'm procrastinating homework hehe rofl) and Dexter was in his tube sound asleep until about 5 minutes ago; and now he's acting playful. Here is his schedule (mainly):
6-6:30 am: Wakes up (he may wake up a bit before this but I've never been up earlier than that)
7 am: starts getting active, runs around his cage
8 am: if he is not out of his cage and into the bathroom for playtime, he goes nuts at EXACTLY 8 am (I mean climbing the cage bars, digging in his shavings, running around and jumping to make lots of noise)
8-9:30 am: play time, he is super active. Climbs in his tube, jumps off walls, runs around like hes a racecar in the bathtub. He is also the most interactive with me during this time.
11 am - 7 pm: on and off naps, goes to get hay every once in a while or comes out of his house to pee. He usually doesn't run around too much but he will interact with you.
8 pm: dinner time, he takes a few bites then heads to bed again
8-11pm: on and off naps again, more off than on but doesn't go too crazy
11pm - 1 or 2 (depending on me): Play time, usually is very playful and wild at first, but at around 1 am passes out. Will get back up every 15-20 minutes and play for that amount of time and then fall back asleep; gets more playful towards the end as well.
2 am: Suddenly he's wide awake (bc he wants to go back in the bathroom I suppose); but he calms down quickly and falls back asleep

On weekends I try to let him have as much playtime as possible, he's kept me in there from 8 am til 12 before and still wanted to keep going! Anyone else have a chin similar to this? Is he sleeping too much? I've heard that its both normal and not for such a big difference so better safe than sorry :)
Oh and he's always been like this, I got him from a pet store. (Which is probably why he's up during the day).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 12:47:47 AM by mojito »

Gallardo_Puff

• Proud Mummy
  • Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Early Bird Chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 03:20:18 PM »

My Gallardo Puff is almost the exact same way!
He is up and begging to come out of his cage every morning around 8:30am. I have noticed that he seems to be happier when I let him out of his cage is the morning than at night time. He will run around more and play more.

I have found that letting him out in the morning has allowed him a better sleeping schedule for the day time. Once he goes back into his cage, his is out until roughly 7:00 or 8:00 that evening when he gets up to eat.

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
Re: Early Bird Chinchilla
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 10:33:17 PM »

Oh finally, thank you for responding, and with good news!
Apparently he is also up when I get home from school (about 4-6) and he is way happier in the morning! Glad hes not alone :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up