Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My chin sounds hoarse  (Read 1059 times)

jaime_riri

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
My chin sounds hoarse
« on: March 15, 2012, 09:56:07 AM »

My poor boy has started making a sound I've never heard before. It's like his "back off" noise but more hoarse and seems involuntary. It also kind of sounds like he has to sneeze but can't. Other than that, he's eating/drinking/running around/clear eyes, etc...I would take him to the vet but I'm soo broke right now, I'd hate to take him in and have it be nothing (as awful as that sounds). So, I was hoping someone could tell me if I should take him in or wait and see. He and his brother are almost 3 years old, they are housed together, the brother is fine, their dust is not kept in their cage, and the pine bedding I use is kiln dried.

here's a video of what he sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3WTqrjC8EA&feature=youtu.be

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
Re: My chin sounds hoarse
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 04:47:05 PM »

It sounds like it could be respiratory. Maybe stress, has anything changed environment wise? (like moved furniture, moved the cage to another room, separated the brothers). If its been happening for more than a day or two, even if he's acting okay I'd call a vet. Chinchillas are very talented in hiding illnesses and weakness; meaning first signs are sometimes the only signs. If you do go and it's nothing, at least your conscience will be cleared and you can always work extra hours or cut back in some other area for money. Better to be safe than sorry.
Before I got a chin, I first got a horse a few years ago. From their big bills (my friend payed about 400 bucks to get a woodchip the size of your pinky nail out from her horse's hoof) I've learned to just always have a rainy day account for just in case. Its a simple and good idea :)

Hope your boy is okay!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: My chin sounds hoarse
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 02:52:44 PM »

Yes could even be a bit of hay stuck somewhere in the throat.sure sounds horse.
I'd have a vet check. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up