Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two chinchillas- can I cage them together?  (Read 929 times)

rodandmicha

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Two chinchillas- can I cage them together?
« on: April 06, 2012, 10:11:01 PM »

Hi there,
I have two chinnies, one is a 2 year old female and one is a 2 year old male, they are caged separately. They do get to see each other during play times and their cages are close together. What are your thoughts on housing them together? I realize that they will most likely breed, I'm most concerned about their well being and happiness. I'm fairly new to chins but not a new "animal person", I own a horse farm and have always had dogs and cats as well as some other farm animals. This is just a thought because I wondered if they wouldn't be happier in a pair compared to life in their own cage? Any input would be highly appreciated, thanks in advance :)

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: Two chinchillas- can I cage them together?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 10:27:54 PM »

chins dont really need to have a cagemate to be happy, they can be happy alone as long as they have time with you to bond with and out of cage time. 

if they did get along and you put them together, as you know they may end up breeding, but what if they end up breeding many many times... do you want alot of kits?? and if something goes wrong, do youu want to chance losing the female.  i'm not a breeder, i did however, try it a few times and i lost a mom, and some kits, it can be very heart wrenching.  thats just my opinion tho.   

i do have four boys all caged separately cuz they dont get along, and none of them are unhappy.  :)
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up