Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: health effects from chinchilla dust?  (Read 3248 times)

mlp88

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
health effects from chinchilla dust?
« on: April 26, 2012, 04:49:17 PM »

my friend has a chinchilla & the dust is everywhere. i went to visit her & it got all over my stuff including my hands. doesn't seem to go away no matter how many times i wash my hands, it's just on everything. is this going to be a problem health wise since it is generally silica & quartz or glass (volcanic ash)? also i smoke marijuana sometimes & i am worried of the particles somehow getting in a bowl & smoking it... has there been any health problems from owning chinchillas related to this? any smokers who own chinchillas? please email me directly asap... omnivorchid@gmail. my ocd is mad about this & i can't stand it. ty. <3

mlp88

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: health effects from chinchilla dust?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 04:52:59 PM »

thanks so much in advance for your replies.. i know nothing about this stuff, just curious to see if anyone has had health issues or developed the inflammation in the lungs from inhaling the stuff, through smoking it or just breathing it outta the air.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 07:49:38 PM »

That is a very interesting question.I have seen many accounts of people being sensitive to chinchilla dust. The industry standard seems to be Blue Cloud chinchilla dust. It comes from a pumice mine in California. When working with dust the biggest potential problem is exposure to silicates which stays in the lungs and causes a chain reaction that can result in COPD.

On the internet some claim Blue Cloud has no silicates in it, which is strange, since others describe it as being aluminum silicate powder. Some say there are no "free silicates". Not sure what that's supposed to mean. These claims all sound like malarchy to me. Pure aluminum silicate powder has an interesting MSDS and appears to be very harmful to breathe. I would be interested in seeing what the label actually says on the product.

As far as being a lung irritant that is certainly possible to both humans and chins when they are sick. If you have asthma or COPD It's best to avoid or minimize exposure. It would be the same for anyone living near a volcano. If volcanic ash was that bad it seems the dust from it years later would cause a worldwide epidemic of silicosis. Exposure to concentrated smoke is another story. PAH's in the smoke can wreak havoc with endothelial cells' DNA with each exposure.

Considering it's been 200 years and there is no known trend of silicosis in the chinchilla industry I don't think it's the dust you should be worried about.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 09:06:13 PM »

It is better to be safe than sorry. I wear a mask or have the windows and the barn door open. Since building the barn and getting the chinchillas out of the house it does seem like we have had fewer upper respiratory issues
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up