Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: quick question about buying chinchillas need answer soon please  (Read 1181 times)

dragnalong

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1-2?
    • View Profile

I need answers quickly please! I have an appointment today to go look at 4 chinchilla kits for sale. 2 boys and 2 girls. I know I am getting one. Will one be happy by their self as long as it has me? Or would it be happier with a sibling? Should I get two? Any advice?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: quick question about buying chinchillas need answer soon please
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 07:49:21 AM »

Congrats on your new chinchillas.

I know that chinchillas do very well in solitude and some don't get along with other chins after they've been accustomed to living alone. Some who are accustomed to living together may go through a period of stress or depression if they must be separated or its cagemate dies. So I don't think it really matters to the chin except what it is accustomed to growing up.

I've seen it said here on the board that if you want two do it for you and not for your pet. It's common practice to keep two litter mates together and this usually does not cause problems either way. Make extra sure you've properly identified their genders though.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »

If they are used to being together and you can afford to get 2 I would do it. I only got one in the beginning of jan (at the pet store, he had a mate but he was so young and they didn't live together for long) and got my second one in march. Dexter (who was my first one) was fine by himself since my sister and I kept him company.
I did travel every other weekend to see my boyfriend while he was in school, and Dexter used to stress out whereas he stopped (or doesn't stress very much) once I got Skillet, but that is just my situation. Like GR said its more for you if you want to get two, if you get one as long as you give him good attention it doesn't matter :)

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 06:39:52 PM »

if you get two m  make sure they are the same sex     ;)
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up