Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there way to reinsure my chinchilla  (Read 1085 times)

gasaraki03

• Appreciation points: 6
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Is there way to reinsure my chinchilla
« on: October 04, 2012, 07:03:55 PM »

My sick chinchilla is spending the night at the vet tonight and going into surgery tomorrow and then spending that night for them to watch him. Will not get him back till Saturday essentially 2 nights. My other fine chinchilla has become so lively the past week or so and if open the cage i can barely close he'll jump on my hand when try to push back. Few hours after got home alone he started making squeaking sounds. Hes just laying on the floor and when opened the door he barely wanted to move or come out.

All he knows is his brother wasn't doing well possibly dying without help and now is gone somewhere, he doesn't know his brother is coming back so might feel the worse and be sad because of it feeling he has lost his brother.

Ill try to bond with him but just now when tried to even touch him he ran away wouldn't let me get close. Is there anything else i can do to keep him happy and not stressed till his brother comes home?

gasaraki03

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Is there way to reinsure my chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 07:21:59 PM »

Now he seems to be more active will keep an eye on him though. Maybe i just jump to conclusions but better safe than sorry, hope he stays active and lively.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Is there way to reinsure my chinchilla
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 08:46:23 PM »

I know that separation can be really tough on bonded pairs. I know this is kind of a blunt statement but some animals will cope with it and get over it and some animals will stop eating and loose the strength to survive after their mate is gone. Keep in mind this usually manifests over a period of several days.

At this point I would just watch his food and water intake closely and do your best to fill in the gap by giving him extra attention if he'll tolerate it. If he does go off his food ask the vet about instructions and materials to hand feed until the other chin comes home. One day without food for a chinchilla can be pretty damaging.  Considering chinchillas are creatures of habit it can take a few days (or weeks) before he gets used to the new circumstances and calms down.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:50:52 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up