Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Our first vet visit  (Read 1538 times)

Maysie

• Momma of little Zeus
  • Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Our first vet visit
« on: September 22, 2012, 03:08:52 PM »

Well I've heard so many things that pushed me to get Zeus his first check up, I'm very glad I did... Nothing is wrong, he's a perfectly healthy little guy.
 But I found a vet I trust and I now know for a fact that my baby is healthy. We had to buy a carrier last night, which he hates if it's shut but plays in when it's open. I've found that it seconds as a out of cage play hut... and it has stopped him from hiding under things that we would prefer he didn't.
 He hated the ride, he didn't bark at all but the whole way he grunted, groaned, and threw himself about. But hey, at least he had a/c.
 The funniest part was that he seemed to enjoy the vet. He bounced around the room making a nuisance of himself for the vet tech (who was pre-warned that if she let him run around there would be little poops everywhere and she wouldn't be able to catch him). After the Vet tech gave up trying to weigh him (she left the scale in the room and we managed to do it ourselves, 1.5 pounds) she practically ran away. I do not feel to bad for her, as I said, she had been warned.
 The actual vet was amazing. She handled him so well and when he wouldn't sit still (I swear the little guy had adhd, even for a chin he's hyper) she "burrito'd" him in a towel to check his ears, teeth, and eyes. He hated it but things were done way faster than if he had his way. All in all if you live in the St. Mary's area I so recommend the St. Mary's Animal Hospital over any other vet in our area. I've had so many grand experiences. The service is amazing and they truly care for the pets.

Zeus also mentions he feels violated.   

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Our first vet visit
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 03:44:55 PM »

The easy way to weigh a chinchilla is to get a small box that will fit on the scale. I do that every morning with a plastic feed container. I'm glad you found a good vet that actually cares. Sounds like your vet tech had an interesting experience. I'm amazed you can weigh a chinchilla without putting it inside of a box.

Sounds like you got a nice big chinchilla at 1.5lbs (680g). Mine is only 460. I hope he will keep growing for a while.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Maysie

• Momma of little Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 09:26:47 PM »

He only stayed on the scale for a moment. My boyfriend read it before Zeus hopped away again.  ::silly:: The vet we did get seemed to really know chins well, of course she's the only one that treats them there so I expect her to be at least a little experienced.
 She also mentioned that Zeus isn't overweight at all and we should expect him to keep growing for a little while... I'm curious how big he's going to get, but whatever the size he's going to be over loved and spoiled rotten. :blush2:

glafond

• Appreciation points: 5
  • # of Chins: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 04:33:59 PM »

Well I've heard so many things that pushed me to get Zeus his first check up, I'm very glad I did... Nothing is wrong, he's a perfectly healthy little guy.
 But I found a vet I trust and I now know for a fact that my baby is healthy. We had to buy a carrier last night, which he hates if it's shut but plays in when it's open. I've found that it seconds as a out of cage play hut... and it has stopped him from hiding under things that we would prefer he didn't.
 He hated the ride, he didn't bark at all but the whole way he grunted, groaned, and threw himself about. But hey, at least he had a/c.
 The funniest part was that he seemed to enjoy the vet. He bounced around the room making a nuisance of himself for the vet tech (who was pre-warned that if she let him run around there would be little poops everywhere and she wouldn't be able to catch him). After the Vet tech gave up trying to weigh him (she left the scale in the room and we managed to do it ourselves, 1.5 pounds) she practically ran away. I do not feel to bad for her, as I said, she had been warned.
 The actual vet was amazing. She handled him so well and when he wouldn't sit still (I swear the little guy had adhd, even for a chin he's hyper) she "burrito'd" him in a towel to check his ears, teeth, and eyes. He hated it but things were done way faster than if he had his way. All in all if you live in the St. Mary's area I so recommend the St. Mary's Animal Hospital over any other vet in our area. I've had so many grand experiences. The service is amazing and they truly care for the pets.

Zeus also mentions he feels violated.

Do you live in Maryland? There is a St. Mary's County, Maryland.

Maysie

• Momma of little Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 04:34:42 PM »

Yes, I live in St. Mary's County, Maryland.   ::silly::
  Born and raised here in fact. Have you been here or do you live here?
Pages: [1]   Go Up