Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Safe Fleece? and is it 100% polyester  (Read 2984 times)

gasaraki03

• Appreciation points: 6
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Safe Fleece? and is it 100% polyester
« on: September 25, 2012, 04:51:27 PM »

I got ramp cover for my ferret nation cage and never used since saw polyester is bad for them but found these
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23904&rel=1 
which look just like what i have. Read online that fleece is made from polyester. So will this ramp cover be safe. Fyi i removed 2 of the ramps since not needed and safer but i still need the one in middle to separate the bottom and top which makes cleaning alot easier, which is done daily can close it with latch and use to make 2 cages to keep separate like am doing now. Since the covers will cover the wire mesh ramp which probably isn't the safest for them.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Safe Fleece? and is it 100% polyester
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 06:59:15 AM »

Although I don't know very much about fleece I've read that there is a risk of bowel obstruction if a chinchilla ingests enough of it and that not all chinchillas will chew fleece. Basically if you see evidence of chewing fleece it's best to remove it. To me it's amusing they call it fleece if it doesn't come from a sheep. I have no idea what it's normally made of.

It is true that wire mesh ramps and shelves are not safe because it's known to cause foot fractures on occasion chinchillas get their foot through the mesh at a just-right angle and sometimes it costs them their lives. A fleece cover should eliminate that danger.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

FranklintheChin

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 01:37:00 AM »

I use fleece at the bottom of my chins cage instead of bedding and he also has a hammock also made of fleece, I've also seen many others use it as well. I monitored him very closely when I first put it in and he has not tried chewing it at all. the only thing I've seen him do is try to pull at it, because he actually wraps him self up in it to sleep/cuddle with! Since you already have it you might put it in and just monitor your chin. 

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 07:06:18 PM »

fleece is the only known safe material for chins, however, as stated above, if you notice someone chewing on it, you should take it out because it can cause life threatening issues. i cant use it with bo, he was caught chewing on it.. bad bo bad bo.. lol
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up