Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bump behind my chins ear, red boil on toe  (Read 2726 times)

katerinam

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Bump behind my chins ear, red boil on toe
« on: November 03, 2012, 12:38:22 PM »

I have two chinchillas, Napoleon who is 1 and a half and Tutu who is 3 years old. Napoleon was doing great on his own but since I started working more, I wanted to get him a companion. Unfortunately, even with the proper introduction, they did not and still don't get along. I have to let them out to play separately but Napoleon would go up to his cage and a few months ago, had his big toe bit. I had to take him to the vet and they gave me a ridiculous estimated bill of $600. The day before, I had gotten laid off from work so I wasn't able to afford all those tests. They gave me a soak for his toe, healing cream, painkillers and antibiotics. A month had gone by and there was no progress so I had to take him back. They prescribed the same things for him and there was still no progress. He still has this scab like boil on his toe,which he doesn't pick at, and recently he developed a bump behind his left ear. It looks like a little bit of dry skin around but it doesn't seem to be a scab. I start new work in a few days finally so I can't take him to the vet just yet. Truth be told, I don't trust them because they can't seem to find anything wrong with him and say he's just fine. I feel like they are taking my money, even after explaining my financial situation to them. Until I am able to take him again though, I need some input from anyone who may have experienced something similar. I was financially stable when I got him, I have even posted on kijiji for someone to take him when I didn't have a job but no one wanted him because he was "special needs". He is in really good spirits though, very active..acting like he usually does.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. :)

Napoleon is the grey chinnie and Tutu is the white one.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Bump behind my chins ear, red boil on toe
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 02:26:43 PM »

Sounds like you need an accurate diagnosis which unfortunately requires tests. I think they should have tried a different antibiotic. Sometimes infections respond differently depending on the type of organisms causing it. It may be time to find a new vet.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 02:34:58 PM »

I don't know what to say about the ear other than it can be caused by a number of things. It could be an infected cut.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 01:48:37 PM »

Toes can stay pretty ugly for awhile. If it isn't swollen and the area around it isn't red and inflamed I wouldn't be worried.  Just be sure to keep the cage area clean.

Can you get a picture of the bump on the ear?  Are you talking about a pimple size skin bump or a lump under the skin?

Have the two chinchillas been together recently?  When chinchillas fight they always go for the ears and head and a bite will leave a tiny bump.   Dry skin from dust baths during dryer winter weather will cause little tiny dry skin bumps.

A lump under the skin would be more serious.  It could be an abscess from a small injury. 

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

gasaraki03

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 06:39:19 PM »

Do know what gray said is true and only thing got to offer. First antibiotic they gave to my chinchilla was ineffective but they did test and found out the 2nd antibiotic works. If go back to same vet maybe ask about different antibiotic to try since can't take test to know right medicine.

katerinam

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 08:10:43 PM »

Unfortunately, I only know of two exotic vets in the city. They both had some pretty negative reviews when it came to dealing with actual exotics but I went to the one that offered the soonest appointment. The vet is very kind but I do not like how she takes Napoleon to the back without me being present. I have made it clear to her that I want everything done in front of me. It costs $90 for a checkup and individual tests range anywhere from $75 - $150.

I haven't let them out together for a long while because they just can't get along.

The bump behind his ear kind of feels crusty. It's about the size of a lentil. I couldn't get a picture of it because there's so much fur and I don't have anyone to hold him for me. It looks like it's on top of his skin though but it's still hard to tell because of his fur.

They gave me Bactrim Liquid, Metacam, Hibitane Cream and this green thick liquid to mix with water and soak his foot but that is long gone. I haven't given him any of those for a while.

Also, on thing I didn't mention was after he finished his antibiotics, pain killers and soak, I was instructed to continue the Hibitane Cream. One day I woke up to check up on him and his toe actually looked worse. It's not swollen and he doesn't pick at it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 08:12:36 PM by katerinam »

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 06:45:23 AM »

It really doesn't look bad from the picture.  I have seen many toes bitten completely off in my 14 years of breeding. I can't say 100% since I haven't been there to watch it like you have, but at first glance, knowing he isn't favoring it, I wouldn't be concerned.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 08:15:26 PM »

I had a problem with Nickers's ear, too. He has a raised black protrusion. I took him to the vet when he was about 6 months old (so about 11 months ago) and she said not to worry, it's probably just a mole or an accumulation of excess pigment. It has been there for as long as we have had him. How long has your chin's bump been there? Are you sure you just didn't notice it before? Maybe it's like snickerdoodle's mole.
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma
Pages: [1]   Go Up