Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chewing on feet  (Read 1657 times)

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
Chewing on feet
« on: November 25, 2012, 01:11:35 PM »

Theres a patch of white on Snickerdoodle's feet. I think it's dried skin; it itches him. Could it be a fungus? And I know bag balm is ok, but is anything else safe?
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

Snickerdoodlesmom

• View Profile
Re: Chewing on feet
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 08:26:35 PM »

Anyone know?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 08:09:03 AM »

I don't know that much about it or I would have posted. I wouldn't think it's fungus unless the skin is red and inflamed or if it causes missing fur with red patches in the middle. If it were my chinchilla I'd try bag balm. I'd also extend his dusting to every two days instead of every other day to see if there is an improvement since dusting causes skin dryness and mine is prone to having dry, flaky skin. He doesn't scratch so I'm not concerned about it. Could you provide a picture of what it looks like? It may just be a callous.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Snickerdoodlesmom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 08:39:40 AM »

I can't. I jus picked him up to see his feet he was squeaking and kicking and angry. He won't let me hold him to get a picture. And it IS red and inflamed. Are there any human lotions i can use? In small amounts, of course?

gasaraki03

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 05:57:04 PM »

Since your looking for human lotion ill tell you what my vet said to get for my chin after surgery and had dry foot. She said to try unscented lotion (preferably with lanolin). I used some unscented neutrogena since that's what i already had at home and didn't have any problem with it. Just put small amount.

If your chinchilla seems to want to eat it I probably wouldn't give him more since cant be the best for him i would guess.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 07:40:07 PM »

Like I said I don't know too much about this so keep that in mind. If in doubt see a vet.

Since chinchillas are known for having dry skin it's the most likely cause but causes like fungus or an overgrown callous can't be ruled out. It didn't start out red and inflamed so it is possible that the irritation is caused from chewing and scratching something that wasn't as bad to start with. If the biting and scratching breaks the skin you may need antibiotics and possibly an e-collar. If you notice swelling around broken skin it could become a serious infection quickly so watch carefully for changes. This is easy to tell if you just compare it to the other foot and make sure everything is the same size.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Snickerdoodlesmom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 08:11:15 PM »

Is Shea butter toxic? It's the most natural lotion we have in the house. Of course, I'd use it in tiny quantities...

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:52:36 AM »

I just read on a recent post of yours that you are using carefresh bedding. I know that others on this site have had problems with excessively dry skin on their chinchillas who roll in the bedding. It absorbs their skin oils more readily than pine. Switching to pine chips might help too if your chin does this.

Also a quick search of shea butter shows it comes from a tree nuts which are typically not good for chins. I can't say for sure but I wonder if your chin will eat it thinking it is food and may encourage the biting behavior. If it does turn out to be okay to use I would be careful of this possibility and maybe try to see if your chin will eat the lotion off your fingers.

Snickerdoodlesmom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 06:10:45 PM »

I'm just worried that it's like chocolate: very, very toxic. We have Clinique moisturizer, a mild, gentle cream that is unscented. Anyone have opinions on this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up