Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introducing male chins  (Read 689 times)

Chin print

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Introducing male chins
« on: December 13, 2012, 10:24:30 PM »

I am getting a male chin in about a week. I am only waiting on the cage I ordered to arrive.  Unfortunately there are no breeders within a days drive of where I live so I had to go to a pet store.  They only had one male about 8 months old but they let me observe and handle him and he seemed very tame.  So my question, I would really like two males so they have a buddy. if I ask the pet store to order me another male and pick them up at the same time, obviously they would not be litter mates, can I put them in the same cage together immediately? It would be a brand new cage and they would go in at the same time so it would be new to them both.  Is this possible? Or am I out of luck and I should just have the one?
Thanks!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Introducing male chins
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 09:57:31 AM »

It would not be wise to put them together immediately. Some chinchillas are not compatible with others. If you want two the best thing I think is to get one settled in and over the initial stress of relocation (which can some weeks) before you try to introduce another to that one. If you get another consider the possibility they may need to be caged separately. If they are not introduced properly and over time they can easily kill each other. Chinchillas do very well on their own especially if they are used to being separate from the start and putting them together can be very stressful for both at first.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up