Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New here, does this sound expensive for 2 chinchillas and cage?  (Read 1614 times)

chinluver2013

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile

Hi everyone I am new here and already own a male standard chinchilla. I am looking at possibly getting 2 chinchillas but not sure if the price seems really high for them or not as I don't know how much their particular colors usually run. The male is a mosaic and the female is a brown velvet and they are both under 3 years old and come with a critter nation cage. The female is thought to possibly be pregnant. Does $350 seem really high to any of you? The breeder I got my standard chinchilla from only charges $100 for mosaics but she is pretty cheap on them from what I have seen and not sure how much brown velvets usually run and the woman that is trying to get rid of them claims she paid $280 and $300 for them each when she got them. I thought I would ask all of you since i'm not too familiar with prices and don't want to get ripped off.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: New here, does this sound expensive for 2 chinchillas and cage?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 07:19:42 AM »

Hi, and welcome to the forums.  You will find different prices on chinchillas depending on where you live.  I have noticed that states with a lot of breeders will have lower prices then states where there are only a handful of breeders.  Breeders who breed for show quality tend to have higher prices then breeders who don't.    I price my chinchillas at $100 standard, $150 beige, and $200 for everything else.  I have purchased breeding stock for my herd where I have paid $250 for a standard because it was excellent show winning quality and considered a herd improvement animal.

It really depends on the quality of the chinchillas you are buying.  Retail price would easily be $400 for the chinchillas alone if they are breeding quality, not counting the cage.  Don't count a pregnancy in the price figuring.  Depending on how far along she is the move could cause her to loose the baby.

Also, are you buying them to be pets or with the idea of breeding? If you want them as pets you should consider how friendly they are and if you are compatible with their personalities. Adult chinchillas are pretty much set in their ways.  If you are wanting to breed you should  ask how many litters she has had before, how they turned out (did they all survive), that sort of thing.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

chinluver2013

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 10:08:11 AM »

Thanks so much I am in North Carolina (sorry forgot to add that) and all I know is that 1 came from a breeder in SC and the other from TN (not sure who, she didn't say). What I have seen there is not many breeders around here. I don't know if she bought them for breeding originally or if she just got them to be pets. I am basically getting them for pets so don't really care about all of that, I just wanted to get them before they go who knows where. They are suppose to be very friendly and have never bit anyone. I know if she has any kits they will just be staying here so couldn't be breeding her or I would have a house full!!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 03:46:37 PM »

Interesting...  One could have come from me.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

chinluver2013

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 08:12:02 PM »

I didn't even see that you were from SC! She said the brown velvet female came from columbia,sc but I was looking online and didn't see any breeders there. Will for sure have to ask her now though because I am curious if she might have came from you.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 07:25:04 AM »

Columbia?  That must be someone who doesn't show.  As far as I know its just me and Janice around Walterboro and then Ann in Rock Hill. 

Lowcountry Chinchillas

chinluver2013

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 06:02:36 PM »

She couldn't even remember who she got them from! She said she thought the womans name was Kim in Columbia SC, not sure how you forget the person you get them from but guess everyone is not like me and remember everything. Oh well like I said I didn't get them to breed them so it didn't matter to me if they were from show lines or not. I will be shocked if the female is not pregnant though because she seems pretty big, could be she is just a bigger chinchilla but i'm not too convinced of that. She only had 1 kit last time and the lady kept it and it actually was a very nice looking baby and is 10 months old.
Pages: [1]   Go Up