Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taming chinchilla? biting chinchilla?  (Read 669 times)

MelodyAndMochi

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Taming chinchilla? biting chinchilla?
« on: August 14, 2013, 09:31:24 PM »

I have 3 months old chinchilla, she is rescue so grew up with foster chinchilla mom and friends with human since she was less than a week of age.  I brought her home when she was month and half old.  So I think she was pretty tamed already.  From day 1, she would jump on my palm and shoulder, use my leg as a ladder or a bridge.  She would take treats and hay from me and eats them inside and outside of cage.  And she play bites all the time, more likely play nibbling like a puppy.  But whenever I try to hold her when she jumps on my palm she bites the crap out of me and I bleed.  So far it happened like 4 times.  I never grabs her or chases her to catch.  Is that just her characteristic?  She lets me pet her head, back or stomach even let me touch her hands and feet oh and she loves when I scratch her neck.  I guess she does not like to be held? or is that something time, patient, love and some blood(lol) would help.  Does that mean my chin is not tamed?  By the way, she loves my dachshund.  She would let her do anything to her including sniffing and kisses.  They are under supervision 24/7 whenver they are together but my dog is super lazy and mellow.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:49:14 PM by MelodyAndMochi »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Taming chinchilla? biting chinchilla?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 06:22:33 AM »

My chinchilla does that too sometimes and I have to tell him no and pull him back. You can also blow in his face or something else that he does not like. Your chinchilla might not know that it causing a problem and should be trained to not do that.

Also one thing to add: I think your chinchilla is tame. A chinchilla that bites that is not tame typically does it to get away from you and does not tolerate being petted. When this happens usually you'll notice them slipping fur at the same time. Most chinchillas do not like to be held though and it is something you'll have to ease them into.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:55:36 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up