Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to the chinchilla community  (Read 1333 times)

MrsSlagle

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
New to the chinchilla community
« on: August 26, 2013, 01:36:53 PM »

Hello everyone!

My name is Lauren and just thought I should join a chinchilla community!
I bought my first chinchilla when I was 10yrs old in 2000. My cousin use to breed them and I fell in love and just had to have one (how all obsessions begin.).. so I found a little guy that was approx 8 months old at a pet shop and he is now 14 years old ans going strong. He is a standard grey. His name is Rocky and he is housed with a now 14 year old female beige named Amy. They are my babies!
Yesterday I had the pleasure of adopting a 3yr old silver mosaic male. He is super sweet and absolutely gorgeous. (And yes he is in a seperate cage of his own).
I need a name for him!! Rocky and Amy surprised me with 2 kits at the beginning of this month and I will be keeping the female kit and housing her with the new mosaic in a year.
So I am trying hard to find two unique names to fit the standard grey female kit and the mosaic male. Kind of along the lines of mickey and minnie type names.

any ideas at all?

Thanks and I look forward to meeting other chinchilla parents

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: New to the chinchilla community
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 03:16:38 PM »

I was thinking Rocky would go well with Bullwinkle...

Anyway, Welcome to the forums. 14 years is up there for a chinchilla. I'm amazed they are still breeding.

I don't recommend breeding chinchillas from a pet store intentionally since they are usually in the pet store because they are not suitable for breeding. As you may know there are many types of genetic defects that can be passed down and reputable breeders often cull chinchillas with defects in their lines by selling them as pets. Although such problems are not always expressed you don't know what your new pet could be carrying that can be heartbreaking for the owners of their offspring. I had a pet store chinchilla with malocclusion that I had to put down last year which was diagnosed as being genetic. It did not manifest until after a year, maybe two. If you wish to breed please get breeding stock from reputable breeders that have good documentation. This will improve the quality of the chinchillas you sell and overall public perception of keeping chinchillas as pets.

Anyway here are some names from the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show that might work:
Boris Badenov, Natasha Fatale
Nell, Captain Peter Peachfuzz, Sherman
Dudley Do-Right, Snidely Whiplash

I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

MrsSlagle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 04:59:51 PM »

I appreciate your input. When I was 10 I didnt know any better. My cousin gave me a mosaic female when I was 11 to put with him. They were both about 2 by then. I named her Adrian from the Rocky movies. She sadly passed afrer her first litter. I then got Amy and theyve been together ever since.

the mosaic I just adopted is not from a pet store though. Ill post some pics in a bit of my babes.

thanks again for the advice. All is welcomed

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 06:47:01 PM »

If I'm understanding correctly Rocky is a pet store chinchilla. He was the sire of the two kits. So you want to put a female kit with that questionable blood line into breeding with your new mosaic. If that is the case I'm advising that you get a pedigreed breeder for your female instead and keep Rocky's offspring out of breeding. Once you pair chinchillas it can be dangerous to separate them since they are prone to dying from depression when you do that. So it's best to put the best with the best right off the bat.

As far as naming I sympathise with you. It took three weeks to name my last one, Kulu, going through long lists of Mayan words and lore. Since I took him home the week the Mayan calendar ended I wanted to go that route.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 05:46:27 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

MrsSlagle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 07:35:33 PM »

Rocky and Amy

New and unnamed!
Pages: [1]   Go Up