Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Temporary Chinchilla Cage  (Read 2320 times)

ChinchillaChris

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Temporary Chinchilla Cage
« on: August 30, 2013, 11:12:37 AM »

Hi guys,
I have a quick question. My family is moving to a new house in December and I'll need to keep my chinchillas in a temporary cage for a few days during the moving process since their current cage (A critternation) will need to be partially taken apart so we can move it. The temporary cage that we have in mind is 38 inches long, 19 inches wide, and 19 inches tall and will need to house two chinchillas. Do you think this will suffice for about three days? If not, would the chinchilla's playpen be ok to keep them in ( the playpen looks like this ) I can set up the play pen, put some sort of non chewable covering on the ground, and I can put a long board of wood on top of the play pen to keep them from jumping out. Any suggestions? Also, does anybody have any tips to make this moving process less stressful for the little guys? The drive to the house is only about ten minutes, so they shouldn't get too stressed in the car. Thank you!
~Chris

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Temporary Chinchilla Cage
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 11:25:11 AM »

I think the 19x19x38 is reasonable for two chinchillas but not long term. I think it's way better and safer to put them in the cage instead of the play pen.
The car ride should go fine as long as you can keep them below 80F as much as possible.
You may want to have a room set where it will be quiet prepared before you move the chinchillas so they aren't stressed by the movement and noise. They will be stressed and you should watch for diarrhea and withhold treats until their food intake and output is normal. They'll probably eat less than usual for a day or two. Don't let them roam around outside of the cage for at least five days to minimize stress as well. Perhaps others have something they can add.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

ChinchillaChris

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Temporary Chinchilla Cage
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 12:49:52 PM »

Thanks for the advice. The chinchillas will be in the temporary cage for no more than 4 days at the most. I just found out I can't even keep them in the pen if I wanted to since there is no place to attach their water bottle. I'll make sure to keep it cool in the car, and I'll set up a quiet area in the new house before I take the chins over. Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up