Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Respiratory infection, possible pneumonia  (Read 1792 times)

sarajane308

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Respiratory infection, possible pneumonia
« on: August 27, 2013, 05:06:53 PM »

http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum

HI I'm new here! I have a chinchilla named Iggy, he's four years old. I've been with him about 3.5 years. He's never had any health problems...until now. It started off slow. His eye was runny, so I took him into the vet thinking it was just a scratch on his eye or eye infection. They diagnosed him with upper respiratory infection. He was on his antibiotics about a week and a pain med, and he cleared right up. He was doing great! Two days later, he was in very poor condition. His activity level dropped completely, he was making very strange vocalizations I've never heard from him (maybe trying to tell me he didn't feel well), he stopped eating, and was breathing very heavily at a constant rate. I took him back to the vet immediately. He determined he must still have the respiratory infection, and sent us home with a new antibiotic. Iggy has taken his fourth dose, he will get the fifth one tonight. I'm very worried. He's trying very hard to stay strong. He ate some popcorn pieces (which was ok'd by the vet - anyone ever give their chinchi popcorn? he likes it..) this morning, but refuses all else. Tonight I will get the powder food and start feeding him this way. Please wish us luck! Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks :( <3, Sara

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Respiratory infection, possible pneumonia
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 05:36:05 PM »

Although I have not experienced this myself with chinchillas (but with other animals) I know that respiratory infections can be very hard to treat. In your case I want to advise you to be hopeful but keep your hopes guarded. If he was responding to the first round of antibiotics he should respond this one better if he has not lost too much weight. It may take two days before you see any improvement. As far as popcorn goes I've been told by expert breeders repeatedly that it is not safe for chinchillas. You probably should be feeding critical care only at this point until he can get back on his hay and pellets. It is important to give the full prescribed course of antibiotics even if there are no symptoms. I also recommend cleaning and disinfecting the cage and accessories at the end of the course of antibiotics to help prevent re-infection.
I hope all goes well for you.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

sarajane308

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 05:51:34 PM »

Thank you very much :) I hope he responds well to the medicine and I won't give him anymore popcorn.. lol.

sarajane308

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 10:14:06 PM »

well tonight he has a runny nose, hiccuping, his breathing is still very rapid, his fur is matted, and i'm having a very hard time giving him his critical care food.

; (
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:35:02 PM by sarajane308 »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 06:23:09 AM »

I'm sorry to hear that. Just try to make him as comfortable as you can. If he won't swallow anything from the syringe it might be best to just let him be.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 07:37:51 PM »

Hopefully this round helps. Do you have flavored critical care? You could try flavoring it with apple juice to see if that helps, since he went from yummy popcorn to sick chinny food! I hope he gets better!

sarajane308

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 07:47:42 AM »

Actually he died on August 30th :-(
Pages: [1]   Go Up