Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleas help me. My chin has soft stools.  (Read 827 times)

MyPetErny

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: I have 1 in my room and my sister has 1
    • View Profile
Pleas help me. My chin has soft stools.
« on: November 05, 2013, 05:08:39 PM »

Hay pleas help me. I have 15 week old boy chin that i have own for a week. I love him so much and care for him i read all the book and my sister has owned his brother now for 5 months. Last night at 11:35pm when i let him out for a run his stools had became soft. There was only 10 soft stool in his cage and 19 hard (I had cleaned him out at 8:30am). I feed him only 1 tsb of "pets at home chinchilla food" (this is what he has been feed since he could eat) 4-5 hand full of "natural meadow hay excellent for chinchillas" and he always has fresh water. I clean his cage then ad the 6am today and found allot more soft stools but he did poo at all after that till 7 ish tonight when i found less stools they where still soft but not as bad. The stools are still and brown tick tack shape and don't smell. I did give him 4 rains yesterday as i was teaching him his name. His is lively and still loving. I tock away all rains and food pellets he has 7 hand full of hay and i gave him burnt toast. I don't know what els to do or if this is enough. Any help?? Pleas. P.s sorry about spelling and grammar.

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
Re: Pleas help me. My chin has soft stools.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 05:19:15 PM »

4 raisins? That is FAR too many! Are the stools runny? Do not give him any more raisins until he seems to be better.
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 08:30:16 PM »

I do agree that four raisins is too many. Two a day should be the limit and only for a healthy chin. Removing the pellets from the diet is a good start. Measure his water intake as well to make sure he is drinking. You've only had him for a week so he is still adjusting to his new environment. I recommend you wait 5 days before letting him out to run. If your pet does not come to you or let you touch him in his cage then he should not be let out until he becomes more tame. If the feces become sloppy see a vet asap. If there is no improvement in 48 hours call a vet and have a fecal exam done. If he is given antibiotics make certain he does not stop eating his regular diet. If you think he has stopped eating talk to your vet about hand feeding. If a chinchilla goes off his food for more than 48 hours he can die of digestive problems.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 08:40:42 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 07:20:18 AM »

How is he doing now? Has there been any change? You should put him back on his pelleted diet if his stools are firmed back up.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up