Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stranger anxiety  (Read 3861 times)

Leslie

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Stranger anxiety
« on: October 21, 2006, 09:47:57 AM »

I find it so frustrating that my chinchillas are so cute and comfortable with my boyfriend and I, but when I have company over, the chinchilla's behavior completely changes.  No one even knows how loving and cuddly my chins are because every time someone else is in the room, they act different.   They rarely run on their wheels, they don't hop around their cages and play, they won't come out to be held, they won't sit and be scratched....but they do all these things when we are alone.  Even if the outside person is sitting nowhere near the cage,they can sense an alien presence and they seize up. 

Are most chins like this?  In a way it's....flattering I suppose....to be loved so much by an animal that has such wild instincts.  I've cracked their hard exterior  ::) but I just wish people could see how heartwrenchingly adorable it is to see my chinchillas smile while I scratch their bellies, or how trustworthy they actually are when they're being themselves....I trust them so much I can put my head in their cages and let them groom my eyelashes for heaven's sakes!  Maybe I'll have to get out the video camera to prove to people how cute they are!

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
Re: Stranger anxiety
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 11:06:47 AM »

I think that's very common.  Chinchillas in generally are pretty skittish and when someone new comes around, they need time to determine whether or not that person is a preditor.  One of the things I do to try to help my chinchillas be a little more used to new people coming around is to try to have constant noise so they hear "people talking" throughout the day.  I leave the television on so that they can listen and watch.  For some chins, they still are very skittish when new people come around.  For others, they don't seem to mind nearly as much.  Maybe that's something you could try?   :)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 03:11:49 PM »

::silly::Yes, I agree, a t.v. left running seems to help chins learn that strange voices are not always bad.
    They are also a bit territorial, so you might think about having your guest go into a different room and you take your chin, in hand, to the other room (talking to them and reassuring them constantly).  Let your guest offer them a treat.  Make sure they speak softly and in a low tone, none of this high-pitched squealing, that will only frighten your little one.  The more often you have people over, the more accustom your chins will become to strangers.  You do not want to have a chin that will have a nervous break down everytime a guest comes in.
     Make sure your guest knows the proper way to hold a chinchilla ... close to their chest and supporting the hind legs at all times.
     No loud noises or sudden moves.

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Stacy

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • My chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 07:49:09 AM »

Buddy is like that. When someone new is in the room he is hiding in his little house, but Roo runs to his cage door and begs for who ever it is so come pet him.

tinabeana

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 01:03:02 PM »

I never thought about it but I think  Jo Ann's suggestion is one thing that might have helped Maggie! Maggie is strangely normal when we have people. We have her in the living room now and she'll sometimes sit in the corner of her cage and watch TV with us and we usually have music playing.

She's not the friendliest chinchilla in the first place, but when we have people over and we let her out so they can see her. She runs and jumps around as normal. I can tell she has a few favorites though, she'll run up and sit on one person's lap more then others. Occasionally we'll let people give her a peice of rasien or an apple wood stick but this doesn't seem to particularly endear her to one person over another.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 06:03:16 PM »

It also has a lot to do with what they get used too.
Mine don't even wake in the day now, unless I wake them.Or start passing out treats, a sound they know all too well.
Funny, I had a friend in the other day showing her the kits.She was amazed as one by one each cage came to life from the sound as I gave the Mom and Dad a treat.
Let Hubby start up a saw or even the air compressor, and they don't budge.
Take them out of their room and it's a whole other story, I'm their knight in shining armer. They cling to me like leaches.
Except for the ones who are used to being taken out.They want down no matter where they are.
So use it when you need it, but they will get used to just about anything.
If you want them people friendly you have to get them used to it.
I have one chin I have to keep out by the door, as he pouts if he can't see everything.
He'll take a scratch from anyone, but will let you know to whom and when he will come out.
I am the only one who gets to take them out under protest. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up