Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How are is do playtime why help  (Read 1975 times)

Cereal-Killer

• Chinchilla Decompresser
  • Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: One
  • Eats Cereal, Hugs her Chinchilla
    • View Profile
How are is do playtime why help
« on: January 12, 2015, 03:51:35 PM »

Pepper is very active, however I've only let him romp twice. Once, he hid behind my toilet the whole time, the second, he jumped up on the pillow I stuffed there and began pooping all over my counter. Because of his stink, I must keep him in my game room, which has several couches that he hides under, which make bringing him back inside of his cage a nuisance. my bathroom is small (3 1/2 x 6) with a toilet and a counter. I want to block the bottom of the couches, but I don't have time to buy carpet tubes, and cardboard won't work. Also, by one of the couches, there is a cabinet which he can hid behind and chew wires, I want to block this off as well. I normally use a chinchilla ball, considering my house is 55- 65 F most of the time, but I want him to exercise his leg muscles more. Please help.
Be bold, be </strong >

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: How are is do playtime why help
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 04:08:45 PM »

I recommend obtaining a chinchilla wheel. Chinchillas require a minimum of 14" diameter wheel or "flying saucer". It should be all-metal construction or the chin-spin which has a wood back that is protected by the metal track. I suppose you could fabricate wooden pieces but that would be a lot of time as well. I don't intentionally let my chin run through the house. If tries to hide behind the toilet I chase him out because I don't like him back there because he'll chew on the drywall around the plumbing. Honestly he doesn't get a huge amount of exercise out of his cage and spends most of his out-of-cage time getting cuddled but he's that kind of chin. He'll use his wheel and now that it's cooler he'll put over 3000 revolutions per night on it (I built a digital counter that keeps track.)
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Cereal-Killer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 04:20:44 PM »

Thanks, but I don't have enough space in his cage to let him run around in it with an exercise wheel in it as well, also I'm looking for more out of cage tips, as the second he is in his cage, he becomes more withdrawn
Be bold, be </strong >

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 04:24:22 PM »

If it's not big enough for a chinchilla wheel it may not be the best kind of cage to use. My chinchilla becomes calmer when he's in his cage as well. Sometimes he'll get excited when I put a piece of paper in there but it depends on how sleepy he is. It's a normal chin behavior. At night it's a different story. He'll run a lot. I have a counter on my wheel and sometimes it's close to 4000 repetitions.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:38:15 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

LYChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 5
  • I love my 5 chins!
    • View Profile
    • LY Chinchillas Website
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 08:42:47 PM »

I suggest getting rid of that ball, it is generally claustrophobic and unkind and doesn't allow chins to jump the way they love to. It's important to take some time and prep the area - it takes a bit of time in the beginning, sure, but it's well worth the trouble! It's important for you to be an active participant during playtime as well, so leaving your chin to one area that is considered 'chin safe' is really not a good idea.. supervision is very important. Here are a few playtime tips for you if you do decide to chin-proof an area: http://lychinchillas.com/2014/11/19/tips-for-chinchilla-playtime/  :)
Mittenmaus * Mufftoneous * Lulu * Fifi * Koko & me, Lisa!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/NYChinchillas
Instagram: www.instagram.com/LYChinchillas
Facebook: www.facebook.com/LYChinchillas
Twitter: www.twitter.com/LYChinchillas

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 09:08:49 PM »

I'm going to have to disagree that a chin-safe area isn't best practice for pet owners. I do agree that it is nice to be able to do more without a designated area but I am wary of accidents that I see from time to time. Especially electrocution which ends in a terrible death. Other issues like getting lost in air ducts, walls, and ingesting poisonous substances are other things that can and have happened. If you have the resources and knowledge that's fine, else you really should ought to assign an area where your pet can safely play.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:10:48 PM by GrayRodent »

LYChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 5
  • I love my 5 chins!
    • View Profile
    • LY Chinchillas Website
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 09:10:11 AM »

Yes, of course - everyone's situation is different, and spaces differ quite a bit. If your chin is over 6 months, you should either get a wheel, spend time in a confined area with your pet such as a closet or bathroom, or chin-proof an area of your home for safe playtimes. It's definitely important for these active guys to get out a little energy from time to time; and of course critical for owners to be present for any time a chin is outside of its cage. Definitely do what's right for you, and what's comfortable and safe.
Mittenmaus * Mufftoneous * Lulu * Fifi * Koko & me, Lisa!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/NYChinchillas
Instagram: www.instagram.com/LYChinchillas
Facebook: www.facebook.com/LYChinchillas
Twitter: www.twitter.com/LYChinchillas

Cereal-Killer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 03:44:10 PM »

Thanks! Pepper is only a few months old, so I won't let him use a wheel until March. I have chinproofed my very tiny bathroom so he can romp.
Be bold, be </strong >
Pages: [1]   Go Up